Stuck in first gear

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Stuck in first gear

Post by dexta61 »

This afternoon I was working with my tractor and all gears worked perfect.

But when I wanted to shift gear at some stage it looked like as if he was stuck in first gear. I can move the gear stick, but it is not going into revers or 3rd gear any more. To stop it with running engine I need to put the high and low gear shift in neutral.

What problem have I got?

And more how can I solve it.?

Thanks
I just bought a DEXTA

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi,

Your problem is a classic problem with Dextas, due to wear at the end of the gear lever and often the selectors into which the lever fit also wear.

If you undo the four bolts which hold the gear shift cover in place you can lift it off. You can then inspect the lever etc. More importantly you will be able to move the selector with a screwdriver to the neutral position.

There are a number of threads on this site and the old site concerning this problem also a dimensioned sketch showing the correct profile of the end of the lever.

Gerald

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Hi,
You can live with this quirk. I sat with my foot on the clutch in panic when it first happened.
I read all the excellent threads on the forum but just don't have the time to do the "welded wings" mod; I just leave the four gear lever plate bolts finger tight and when she sticks in gear ( any gear) I just whip the cover off, slide the selector back to neutral with my finger, pop the cover back and carry on. I have this off to a fine art now. Cold fingers are the only obstacle and the probability that one day something will drop into the box when the cover is off.
I find that I change, or select, a gear in a more gentle and considered way. Quick changes, on the fly changes and imprecise movements all seem to enhance the chances of the lever coming out of the selector.
Cheers
Alan

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

DISCLAIMER.
If you are from the Health and Safety police and you read my last post, I was only joking.
Regards
Alan

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The problem is wear mainly caused by operators changing gear on a diagonol rather than following the "H" pattern. This wears the selectors and the lever until there is enough space for the lever to be forced by the selector. Most of these tractors are 40 years old now so we must expect a bit of wear.

Strangly enough, Dotty and her friend still have a very pronounced "H" patterns so either they have had careful drivers or they have been repaired.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I ommited to mention in my previous post, that if the spring loaded collar on the gear lever is seized, it is prevented from adjusting for wear of the spherical seat. Which allows the gear lever to vibrate and chatter resulting in the end of the lever wearing away.

So I would recommend that you ensure that the collars are free before refitting the assembly after repairs.

Just for info new gear levers are available on e-bay and from Agriline for about £20.00!

Gerald

strawhouse
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by strawhouse »

I have even managed to master fixing that in the pitch black just by feel!