PTO seal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
rskene
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO seal

Post by rskene »

My 1959 Dexta is all refurbished and runs like a champ, except for one problem: I can't keep the rear pto oil seal in it. The bearing looks good, the shaft appears straight but when I run an implement, especially a bush hog, it tears the seal. I have replaced it twice, now, and after doing some mowing, it is leaking again.
anybody have this issue (and hopefully a fix)?

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: PTO seal

Post by Tubal Cain »

The correct seal for the PTO shaft has a double lip and the inner lip can become damaged, or bent back on it self, when pushing it onto the shaft.

I use a piece of thin walled copper pipe which just fits over the shaft. With the seal fitted to the housing, using plenty of grease or oil I slide the housing onto the tube making sure that the lips of the seal are not distorted, then slide the tube and housing onto the shaft and bolt it up. The tube is then carefully removed, allowing the lips of the seal to spring and grip the shaft.

Gerald

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks Gerald, I have replaced the seal on a 2000 not that long after someone else did, then it didn't last long once the PTO was used. When removing the old seal it seemed to have moved out of the way rather than been damaged. I will take particular care next time, also to make sure that the replacement is the correct type.

Regards

Ian

rskene
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rskene »

Thanks, Gerald. I will try your suggestion for the next replacement. Is there any chance that grass winding around the pto shaft could work its way far enough in to damage the seal? When we changed the last seal it actually had a tear in it.
Bob