charging

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

red light has started to stay lit even when reved up, how do i check the alt is working or not, The battery is not to old and does seem to be charging as it starts tractor every time ,

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Gerry,

If you have a volt meter, just put it on the both battery poles. Check the volts. While running you should have from about 12 to 13,5 volts max. If it gives you just the volts that are in the battery, it's not loading.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for your quick reply Henk, Ihave tried the m/meter on it as you said and its at 12-56 with engine on or off. Itake it you mean by not loading the alternator needs to be replaced , GERRY

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

Hi there Gerry.
When you say alternator, do you mean the original generator, or do you know the generator has been replaced with an alternator? With the original generator, trying measuring the volts at the battery with the engine running at higher revs. If the volts aren't 13.5 or higher then you may have a charging problem. First check all the connections on the wires runnning to and from the generator.

henk

Post by henk »

Gerry,

Aldo is right. It must not be higher than 14,5 volts. This will damage your battery. When you have the old generator then your charging regulator is probably broken.
Kind regards, Henk

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

hello aldo.No its not the dynmo type, it has been replaced with the alternator an rewired to suit, There is only the alternator wired on tractor an starter nothing eles,as its a ,working tractor every thing is working well except the light stays on as i hve said and she is putting out 12-56 volts with eingne off or on.I have checked and cleaned all connections,The seolnoid is also new. Is there any way of checking the alternator on its own for output. GERRY

JC

Post by JC »

Gerry,
If the battery voltage is the same with the engine off, as it is with the engine running, then the battery is not charging. Check for broken or loose wires and dirty connections. If it still won't charge, take it off and have an alternator repair shop test it.

If it charged the battery in the past, then the wiring is probably correct.

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for your reply Jc. Looks like everythings pointing towards a faulty alternator. Isuppose ill have to bit the bullet take it off an get it tested at an auto spark. Thanks again every one for their input to this post. Gerry

aldo
True Blue

Re: charging

Post by aldo »

GERRY wrote:hello aldo.No its not the dynmo type, it has been replaced with the alternator an rewired to suit, There is only the alternator wired on tractor an starter nothing eles,as its a ,working tractor every thing is working well except the light stays on as i hve said and she is putting out 12-56 volts with eingne off or on.I have checked and cleaned all connections,The seolnoid is also new. Is there any way of checking the alternator on its own for output. GERRY
You have already checked the alternator output - the 12.56V is the battery voltage, and that doesn't increase when you start her up, so the alternator has no output.

OK. so it sounds like the alternator has a built in regulator. The regulator is the plastic box where the wires plug in to the alternator, there is usually 2 screws holding it in, undo the screws and pull the regulator out, and you should see the 2 brushes. If the brushes are worn out, are very short, then that's all your problem is.

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Good man aldo , this will be a big help to me as i dont know a lot about the workings of the alternator, ill give this ago as you have explained and see if it works. could save me the price of a new alternator. Ill let you know how i get on GERRY

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Hello again ihave just got an alternator , theproblem i now have is the conections are slightly different, on this one they are B+ D+ WL Itake it the B+ goes to battery live but which one goes to charging light d+ or wL GERRY

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

B+ battery
D+ warning light
The W terminal is for a tacho I think.

Wire it up and turn ignition on and make sure warning light glows. Then start her up and make sure warning light goes off. Then check battery voltage -should be 13.5-14.5 volts or so, quite a bit above the battery voltage.
Take a look at this postm may be some help:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... tor+wiring

I copied and pasted the following from http://www.fordlaser.com/viewtopic.php?p=639001. Explains it well.

W+ : rev counter
B+ : Main output - normally connected directly to the positive terminal on starter solenoid. From there there should be a thick gauge cable to the positive terminal on the battery +
D+ : Charge warning lamp. Actually the charge warning lamp is connected to the positiv terminal on the battery (from a ignition switched supply) and the D+ terminal on the alternator. When the engine is started current flows from the battery through the charge warning lamp through D+ on the alternator and from there through the windings to vehicle earth/ground/negative. This current is needed for the alternator to exide itself (field windings) so it can begin to produce current itself. When the alternator begins producing current the D + is producing current, and therefore sending current to the charge warning lamp. The charge waring lamp will then receive positiv current from both battery and D+ and will therefore not light up.

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Thanks Aldo for that very clear and understandable reply. ihave been through alot of posts and this one is the first that as acompleat novice to electrics i can follow correctly : i hope it will also help others. Ill now go out my office an sort out my electrics proprely, thanks again for sticking with me on this one. illl let you know how i get on GERRY

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Just back to let you all know how i finaly got on , firstly ihad tried two secondhand alternators when the light had first came on and was told they where both good when the light sill did not go out,this led me to belive it was the wiring or switch or silenoid,etc not really wanting to belive it was the alternator. After all the posts i finally bought a new alt and lo an behold the light goes out and she is putting out 14-57 volts when engine is running, Should have bought anew alternator at the start would have saved a lot of hassale , thanks again every one who helped me out on this GERRY

henk

Post by henk »

Well you learnd a lot Gerry. Thats how we all do.
Kind regards, Henk

GERRY
True Blue

charging

Post by GERRY »

Just one other thing , after fitting new alternator and every thing going as it should, shut tractor down . when i next started it the charging light came on an stayed on. Here we go again ,thinking i had made amistake an the alternator wasnt the problem i started and striped an checked all switches an wiring, put everything back together again, fired it up still the red still light stayed on. I was thinking i had forked out 60 euro on a new alt an problem remains. i was really fed up by now and i give the throtle one hellv tug she reved up really high an the light went out, ichecked the output an it putting out over 14 volts. lesson learned after installing new alternator give tractor a good rev up,ithink this is to excite the alt or something. Had me stumped for a while , hope this will help someone in future. GERRY