Temp sensor/gauge

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Temp sensor/gauge

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Is this where the temperature sensor is supposed to go? Would like to fit a gauge (it's never had one since we've had it). Are any better than others? Was looking at malpas and they have two types. Curiously the cheaper one looks generally better to my eyes...

Thanks for any help.

Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Temp sensor/gauge

Post by charlie63 »

Thats exactly where your sensor fits in. You have remaining parts of the old sensor still in the orifice. Thats what my one was like. I had removed the complete housing when rebuilding the engine so used my small gas blowtorch to heat up the housing and managed to remove the remainder of the sender with long tipped vise grips as with the housing removed and the thermostat housing off you can reach inside the housing to get to the sender. Watch and not squash the sender or it wont come out the orifice as it has a shoulder on it and has to be removed outwards. Just make sure and not damage the threads for the sender retaining nut. Plenty of places to choose from for the new gauge/sender unit I.E. Agriline, Mayhill, Old 20 tractor parts to name a few. Brian had mentioned on my post about the running temp that the gauges that are supplied now are not truly accurate though.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Many thanks Charlie, that's very useful info. I guessed it wouldn't be straight forward, nothing on our Dexta had been but I'm slowly getting it back as it should be. Works hard for a living so deserves better care :-)
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Also be aware that not all the gauges fit the bezel in the instrument panel :x
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!