Has anyone changed the oil seals in a Dexta belt pulley?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Has anyone changed the oil seals in a Dexta belt pulley?

Post by Chris Ivin »

I used mine today and found that oil was spinning off the pulley, not good for my new belt :cry:

It doesn't seem too tricky looking at the workshop manual but any tips would be welcome. Did you manage to source the seals OK?
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Dale B
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dale B »

I see this is an old post, but I will reply anyway...

Yes, it is easy to replace the seal. It took me about 4 hours, cause i messed with a bunch of other stuff.

I pulled the front of the tractor off, radiator etc... Good time to flush everything while its out. I have heard of people trying this without pulling the front end. I dont think its possible, but if it is, I bet you would spend more than 4 hours titrivating with the darn thing, only to find out you wished you had pulled the front end, or that it turns out you had to anyway.

Unscrew the Bolt in the Crankshaft and Slide off the pulley.. I didnt need a puller, but you might.

Take 3 self tapping sheet metal screws and screw them into the metal part of the seal. (center between aluminum and rubber) carefully with a nice crowsfoot backed by a block of hardwood against the case, evenely work the seal out. (easy does it.)

Clean her up.

Press a new one in,, or tap in with medium rubber mallet until flush.

Replace the front end and your good to go.

I got a new belt, front oil seal and a new thermostat right from my local tractor shop down the road. Seems to me in total it was less than $25 dollars for everything.
Pop's 58 Dexta
Kentucky, USA