5" headlamp replacement

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

5" headlamp replacement

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hello again everyone. I'm having real trouble tracking down a replacement 5" headlamp. I've got a smashed lens so could just replace that (Agriline have them listed) but I'd prefer to replace the whole unit (lens, reflector, bulb holder) to something a bit more effective than the poor quality pretend vintage type bulb affair that I have at the moment, as they have proven very unreliable frequently losing electrical contact.

Thanks again for any help. Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Re: 5" headlamp replacement

Post by Daves rusty bits »

Not sure if its any use to you, but I recently bought a John Deere with badly flaking headlight reflectors and my son assures me that modern scooter headlights will go straight in at around £8 each from a motor factors but I havn`t tried it yet. Dave
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I have yet to tackle my Super Dexta headlights but I know that the reflectors are more rusty than reflective, I had considered just lining them with bakofoil, but if new reflectors are available then I would definitely use them.
Question, my head lights look through the grills, are they the same if they are fixed on the side of the bonnet?

Regards

Ian

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Dave, thanks for this. It is an interesting lead, and more fruitful than my previous efforts. I will try local motor stores and see what comes up also.

Ian I'll update on here if I find a better answer.

Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Yes thanks guys, I need lights for my 7710, I have a pair of Sparex 'Major' lights but they look odd being so big, but this might be better: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Motorcycle- ... SwgApXB7qT

1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Ian asked whether his "through the grille" type headlights were the same as those for earlier "side of the nosecone" headlights. The answer is that they are not. The later grille mounted headlights are much shallower than the side mounted jobbies, so the reflector, headlight shell, contact assembly, bulb and bulb holder are all different. The mounting arrangement is also different between the two types. The grille mounted ones need to be able to pivot fore and aft, as well as turning side to side for headlamp adjustment on their mounting brackets. The side mounted ones just turn to raise or lower the beam, although it is possible to rotate them on their mountings if the correct tapered seating washer is fitted (and not seized with rust).
The only common components are the glass lens, the little spring clips that secure the reflector to the rim and the gasket between the glass and the rim. I am not sure about the rims, they appear to look the same and have the same part number (E1ADKN - 13043) and I am sure I have used rims off both types to repair/assemble a set for my Super Major (same headlight). Perhaps someone else has the definitive answer for that.

Regards

Tim E