Super Dexta bouncing lift

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Super Dexta bouncing lift

Post by Bchaney »

Hi,the lift on my super dexta has some kind of internal oil leak. It bounces when i lift something. i read some of the threads on other post and lifted my lift and pulled out the auxiliary control knob and it stays up. When the control knob is in it leaks down. According to the post i saw it is either the control valve, unload valve plug or check valve. i took the o ring off the unload valve on another trouble i was having with it not lifting. Could that be the problem? i saw on some other post where people would remove the o ring to keep the lift from sticking. Thanks Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super Dexta bouncing lift

Post by Brian »

Removing the unload valve "O" ring will not be your problem, that was a Ford approved mod. back in the day.

As the lift stays up when you pull out the ASC valve you have proved that your piston seal is OK so your problem is in Control valve, Check valve or Unload valve plug loose.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

So do I just replace the valves? Are they hard to find? I looked on Agriline and didn't see them. Thanks

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

I saw some control valves on a web site and you have the options of blue,green and orange. What does this mean and how do I know which one I need.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It is not that simple, the colour of the valves is the indication of size measured in microns.

You have to know what colour you have and from that get the valve nearest in size. Even if you get the valve of the correct colour it possibly will not fit correctly, we had to use jewellers rouge or Brasso to polish the valve and sleeve to get it right. Anything "grittier" and you are back where you started.

The valve must drop through the bush with a little oil on it, under its own weight.

With the unload valve plug this must be a knock in fit, again colour coded, the largest one available was a red/white.

The check valve may be the easiest to service as all you need to see is the condition of the ball. You will need an extractor and replacer tool to get the seat in and out without damage. The tool threads into the seat to draw it out and presses on the outside of the seat to get it back. They are usually very tight indeed.

In all cases the lift has to be off to get at all the points mentioned.

Where are you? You may have to join the queue of board members outside my house complete with their Dexta lifts? :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DWD

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

USA Mississippi. That would be a really long trip for me.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Had a though last night as I was reading my workshop manuals in bed. :D

Are you in Position Control, little lever parallel to the lift cover? What have you got on the arms?

Many years ago now I was called out to a tractor which would not hold up a certain implement but was quite happy with others. The thought was that this particular implement was too heavy for the tractor.

The real reason was because the operator was in Draft control and the weight of the implement was pulling back on the top link causing the lift to go into the lower cycle. Selected Position control and the problem went away. One of the more simple problems back in the day.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

My lever is parrell to the top plate(position). It's bounces with all my implements and the arms leak down soon after the tractor is cut off. My draft control only works if I pull the handle all the way back with my hand and hold it there. I'm sure it's a setup problem but I couldn't get the correct setting per wiki on both position and draft control. I guess the parts are worn. For the little amount I use it position control is all I need.