Dexta radiator rubber mounts

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pat777
True Blue

Dexta radiator rubber mounts

Post by pat777 »

Extract from http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 47&p=16350
Bensdexta wrote:The Parts List lists 6 support pads for the radiator, two between radiator and axle support bracket and one below, ie 3 on each bolt. The Parts List gives part#E43MB9, although interestingly the vugot on-line parts list gives a different part# for the lower pads 81717121.

This seems to be confirmed by the workshop manual for the cooling system, radiator replacement:
"Place the radiator in position on the front axle support bracket, with the two large rubber pads between the radiator and bracket. Replace the small rubber pads, flat washers and self-locking nuts in that order on the bolt, and tighten the nuts up until the rubber pads are just compressed."

Brian commented on the old website that for the Fordson Major the pads are about 1/4" thick and the same as the pads under the fuel tank, and made of 'hard plasticised rubber'.

I wonder if Stefan can give chapter & verse - he often can? :wink:
Just putting a new radiator on my Dexta and researching the best way to mount it with regards to the rubber mounts. There were rubber mounts on the old radiator I took off but they certainly were not original and looked like a piece of conveyor belt. One of the tractor parts suppliers sell a rubber pad that I presume is similar to the original supplied with the tractor. https://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalo ... ford-dexta

I had an old rubber car mat that I thought would suffice. I cut two strips that fit inside the bottom mount of the radiator and another piece underneath the bottom of the radiator and then a cut up strip underneath with the washer and nut to secure. I was just wondering what others have done. I have rubber running the complete length of the radiator whereas the rubber pads/ rectangular pieces supplied are two separate strips that look about 2-3 inches long.

More than likely both methods will suffice. Just wondering would I be better off keeping it the same as it was fitted originally and have a smaller piece of rubber rectangle at each bolt and have a void air space between the two or keep it running all the way through.

Any comments on the fitting method of the rubber mounts would be appreciated.

Thanks Pat

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Dexta radiator rubber mounts

Post by charlie63 »

Pat,
Ive just replaced my radiator and managed to get radiator pads from Scotrac on ebay for 4.60 a pair. I had to get a couple of pairs as with only one pad on either side there was very little clearance between the radiator cowl and fan at the top. With two pads fitted between the radiator and axle bracket at either side it evened up the fan with the cowl and I fitted penny washers and M10 nylock nuts. Now I know that the nylock nut is not correct but once the nose cone is fitted you will never notice. The nuts should just be nipped up to start squashing the pads. :)

Charlie.

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the reply, that seems to tally up with previous posts that I've read in other threads, in that there are three rubber parts on each bolt. I'm happy enough to carry on with the rubber car mat as a diy solution, just not sure if the radiator is better off if rubber runs the entire length of it or if the air space between the pads serves a purpose. I guess there might be more flexibility the way you have done it.

I'm interested to hear that you were able to fit m10 bolts. Were they cup head bolts that you fitted. Where did you get your new radiator. The one I have would only fit m8 cup head bolts.

I don't have a cowl on my radiator as a previous owner fitted an oversize fan,so impossible to fit one, the fan seems to keep things cool enough although it does seem to run a bit too close to the bottom radiator hose.

Cheers Pat

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Monster fan

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Pat,
I wouldnt suspect that a full length of rubber will do any harm. My radiator was supplied from Quality Tractor Parts as my wifes cousin has an account with them and that is where 99% of my parts for my complete restoration has come from. It came with the M10 bolts already fitted to the radiator and they are fixed in place and dont seem to be the same as the cup headed ones that were fitted to my original one as you were able to remove them. That is a good chunk of a fan and should keep her nice and cool even without the cowl. Ive just got the 2 blade fan on mine.

Charlie.

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Charlie.

I wasn't happy with the M8 bolts as they were not locking on the square shank in the mushroom of the bottom bracket of the radiator, which would mean that the m8 bolts would just keep spinning and I would not be able to use nyloc lock nuts. I decided to grind down the the m10 cup head bolts so that they would fit in the mushroom of the bottom bracket. Due to the design of the radiator bottom bracket, there is more space on one side than the other, so one bolt required grinding on three sides. Here are a few photos, might be useful for another novice like me, who gets their radiator from the same supplier.

Speaking of the nyloc lock nuts, no harm for all owners to check if there nuts are in place so to speak. When removing my old radiator after it's untimely demise, I discovered it was only held on on one side as a normal nut had been used and had obviously vibrated itself off.

Still pondering is the radiator better supported by having rubber running the full length, I wonder if the size of the rubber pads originally fitted underneath the radiators on our Dexta's was decided based on a costing decision (ie. the smaller the rubber pads the cheaper the cost, has anybody else any thoughts on the matter? No doubt there are plenty of Dexta's out there trundling away with no rubber pads whatsoever, perhaps I'm over analysing things as usual!

Cheers Pat
Bottom Radiator bracket

Radiator "Mushroom"

M8 Cuphead bolt "spinning in square shank"

Ground down M10 mushroom bolts

They fit at last

M10 locked into the square shank

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

One reason you might be encountering problems with the bolts not fitting is you are using Metric bolts on a machine designed for UN bolts.
Although never a perfect fit even when new the bolt heads would hold in the tin surround quite happily even when using Nylox nuts, in fact Ford moved over to Nylox nuts on later tractors. The thickness of the metal work used by some aftermarket manufacturers is little more than John West Salmon tins compared to the original.

My petrol has Nylox fitted on the original UNF bolts and they still hold in the bottom of the radiator.

I wish I had a multiblade fan too! I have been looking for one for a couple of years. :mrgreen:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Brian. Good point on the metric cup head bolts. I must check and see what's available in unf bolts locally. Anybody got any idea which tractor my multi blade fan is off? It is running very close to the bottom radiator hose as it is a great deal bigger than the original one,keeps things cool which is the main thing.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

You can have a 4-blader simply by installing two standard 2-bladers at 90deg to each other - they are designed to do just that!

The shroud gives much improved cooling flow through the rad, as it prevents air leaking in at the sides.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Multiblade fans are usually found in places like Australia, that is where I have seen them. Petrols tend to run a little hotter than diesels that is why i was looking for one. MF do one for my engine but do not know whether it would be safe to put an MF one on a Fordson. If it decided to get off it could take the radiator with it. :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian