Dexta cooling system capacity

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pat777
True Blue

Dexta cooling system capacity

Post by pat777 »

Currently replacing the radiator on my Dexta. Just consulted the manual and it is indicating that the cooling system capacity is 15 imperial pints or 8.52 litres. I had been just filling the radiator with water while I checked for leaks. I decided to measure the quantities that came out before refilling with antifreeze and water mix.

I opened both taps,the radiator tap and the tap on the side of the cylinder block. Now there was a small bit of loss to the floor because the container wasn't in the right spot but I've only got around 6.5 litres when I measured up. I removed the bottom radiator hose also.

I emptied the cooling system when it was cold. I wasn't expecting to be putting 8.52 litres in to the system as I would have been expecting a build up of corrosion in the system. Even if I lost half a litre to the floor,which I doubt it was even that, that gives me a total of 7 litres so I'm down 1.5 litres.

Has anybody measured how much fluids they've got in there cooling system? Also would I have been better to empty the cooling system when it was warm. Any other comments on the predicament welcome.

Thanks Pat

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dexta cooling system capacity

Post by Brian »

The extra you are missing is probably still in the block and cylinder head, that is why antifreeze is important on those engines. Back in the day when people did not use it, it was a common occurrence to get a bulge and a crack in the block just below the cylinder head, behind the fuel pump where the water got trapped and froze.

May be teaching my granny to suck eggs but use a 50/50 antifreeze mix all year round to protect your system from corrosion.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks for the reply Brian. That's good to know,I was expecting the two open taps to drain the system entirely. Thanks for the advice also on the mix to use. So back in the day,did they empty the radiator and cylinder block drain taps in frosty weather after every use, must have been a right pain having to fill up before every use!

My block has been welded before, so could have been caused by the frost.

Thanks pat

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Just putting up a picture of the location of the drain tap for the cylinder block on the Fordson Dexta, From the manual "With the tractor standing on level ground, open the drain taps in the radiator and the left-hand side of the cylinder block"I'm not proud to say it took me a good few minutes to find the drain tap on the block and when I tried to look up it's location on the internet there did not seem to be any images or further descriptions. So for any future novices looking for it's location hopefully this will prove useful. It is on the same side of the tractor as the clutch pedal, (the left hand side of the block). Mine was covered in oil/grease and hidden in behind the fuel filter. Once you know where it is, it's fairly obvious as it's rather big really.

Hiding

Revealed

Close up

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

That's an unusual looking fuel filter you've got there!!
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

It certainly is, this is a real bitsa tractor. I replaced the inner filter a few years ago. Luckily the motor factors looked up the number on the outside casing and had one in stock. I think it was off a Nissan van or pick up! Ah sure it does the job.