Super dexta pto disengaging

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Super dexta pto disengaging

Post by Bchaney »

Hey guys, I've finally got my rescue project rebuilt and looking new. But I'm still finding small issue. Now I'm finding that when I'm running a bush hog and hit a ant bed or very thick grass my pto will disengage. I have a small amount of forward and back play in my pto shaft. Any ideas on the problem. Thanks Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super dexta pto disengaging

Post by Brian »

The usual problem is that the large circlip that holds the PTO rear bearing in position has been forced out of its grove by the use of a too long or very tight sliding shaft on the implement.

Could be an easy fix, get the tractor on a steep-ish slope, nose down, this allows you to take the PTO shaft out without draining the oil. Depending on the slope a little will run out. Put the PTO in gear, take out the bolts around the rear of the shaft and just pull it out.

You will possibly find the circlip on the shaft.

If you are really unlucky the housing will be damaged where the circlip goes. If it is I am afraid you will need a good secondhand housing.

The one on the right came out of Dotty when I had the same problem.

Instant gasket works well on the housing if you damage the gasket.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Well my gasket on my hydraulic pump busted and shot oil everywhere so I have already drained my oil and am waiting on a replacement gasket,so I don't have to worry about oil leaking out. Thanks

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

That was it. Thanks