Dexta Engine Block Cracks what to look for

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta Engine Block Cracks what to look for

Post by malcolmg »

I have the opportunity to acquire a Dexta engine, from a "breaking a Fordson Dexta" with the object of refurbishing this engine and swapping it over with mine.
I need to keep my little gal at work as long as possible, and therefore plan for minimum down time.
Being aware of the weakness of these engine blocks for cracking, and the fact that the engine will be pretty dirty when I look at it, is there a particular area I need to examine or focus on more carefully or can these blocks crack anywhere!!!!
Thanks, malcolmg

pat777
True Blue

Re: Dexta Engine Block Cracks what to look for

Post by pat777 »

I've only bought one tractor in my life, a Fordson Dexta, so I can only tell you of my experience in that particular case. I had not been told by the seller that the engine block was cracked, but my mechanic had mentioned to me before I went to see the tractor that they suffer a lot with cracked blocks. I brought my mechanic with me when I went to look at the tractor. When he was inspecting the tractor he went straight for the area around the starter motor and sure enough the block had been welded around that point. Mine is welded in and around where the block joins up with sump just in behind the starter motor and also a few inches in front of the starter motor. The main concern that my mechanic had was if any of the welds were weeping oil and as they were not I went ahead and bought the tractor. I've had no problems so far with the welded block, I guess whoever welded it did a good job.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

My block has been cracked and welded before my time , see pic, you can see the weld line above the throttle rod, so that is one place it is likely to crack.

I wouldn't class myself as an expert here but I would say that cracking is normally caused by the coolant freezing, the ice expands and cracks the iron. So I think if it was cracked it would be leaking water or if the water has all gone then it might show stains of where it had leaked. Good luck with it. :beer:

Regards

Ian

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

You beat me to it Pat, I'm surprised that there are cracks below the water jacket, obviously not all are caused by freezing water?

Ian

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

I'm not sure what caused the cracked block in my case. I was told a story once from my father about a Dexta "throwing a rod" through a block. I really don't know anything much about the innards of the engine so I don't know if that could be a possibility in my case. Certainly my mechanic had encountered a previous Dexta with a crack around the area of starter motor before as that was the first place he checked, but yes I would have to agree with you that it is more likely for cracked blocks to be caused by a lack of antifreeze coolant. As I didn't repair the crack myself, I'd be interested to hear from anyone about how difficult a job it is to repair cracked blocks. Judging from how prevalent the problem is I'd say there can't be too many non welded blocks left,

malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by malcolmg »

Thanks for the feedback.
I am due to meet the new potential
engine for me, next week.
Who can weld engine blocks if that is
the outcome!!!
Thanks, will update next week.

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

The water jacket extends down to below the casting numbers, its pretty large
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!