DVLA Problems

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

DVLA Problems

Post by oor wullie »

Hi

I have had my Dexta for a few years now and finally got round to applying for a V5 registration (It didn't come with one when I bought it but had been previously registered).

After a bit of correspondence with the DVLA and having sent them photos of the serial numbers and casting codes they have asked for "confirmation from the manufacturer of the date the vehicle was manufactured", it has to be in writing and must be from the manufacturer (not the dealer).

I am guessing that there must have been a mistake on the original V5 and the serial number I gave them doesn't match as they are saying there is a discrepancy somewhere (but not saying what it is).

Given that it is more than 50 years since any Fordson tractors were made and more than 25 years since Ford sold its tractor making division I don't suppose they have kept a wee office open to write letters for people like me?

Has anyone else had to deal with this and how did they get round it?

Tim

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: DVLA Problems

Post by Brian »

The DVLA can be a bit of a "Jobsworth" setup, once they get into that mode.

I have done work for the police in Norfolk and Scotland confirming dates and engine numbers but my word is not accepted by the DVLA.

Your best bet is to send your request to the Ford and Fordson Club for Pat Pawsey's attention but even then there is no guaranty the DVLA will accept that even though the Club is shown on DVLA literature as the registered authority for confirmation of build dates.

They may even ask you to take your tractor to a testing station or send an inspector to your premises to check it is indeed a tractor. :stress:

I took pictures on mine ploughing to the local office and the registration went straight through.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Wullie

The closure of the 39 or so Local DVLA offices starting in 2013 was supposedly as a result of a DVLA consultation (who was exactly consulted one wonders?) which came up with the answer that "customers wanted on-line communication with DVLA", rather than going to speak to a real person at their local DVLA Office. There was a huge outcry from (mainly) car dealers, who had come to rely on the sound practical advice and assistance obtained from Local DVLA Offices in sorting out new car registrations and obtaining correct registration numbers for people wanting to retain a number from their old car to their new one.

The findings of the DVLA consultation was DVLA management babble-speak for: "How shall we save money and muck people around? I know, let's get rid of face to face contact, where people's difficulties are sorted out, lets make them go through our tortuous, impractical, bureaucracy, lacking any measure of common sense, so that these aggrannoying people who play with old vehicles can go mad at our total lack of what the customer actually wants". You have to admit that getting you to write to New Holland to confirm that your Fordson Dexta was made on such-and-such a date about 50 years ago is a really intelligent thing to do. I bet New Holland have set up a special department to do just that. Yeh as if.
Better to write to your MP, or the minister in charge of the Government department responsible for DVLA and ask him/them what they think of such madness and what they are doing to replace the excellent service that the Local DVLA Offices provided in the past. If you don't complain, the blighters will claim that everyone is happy with the situation at DVLA.

Brian's advice to go to Patrick Pewsey is spot on, he (Patrick) did an excellent job for my Super Major registration 3 years ago and with the help of my local (Bournemouth) DVLA office, I got an age related number, with the lady at Bournemouth picking up a couple of mistakes in my application form, as well as advising me on what parts of the form did not need filling in. Nowadays this would mean Swansea returning your form 5, or 6 times and you still might not achieve your goal.

Good Luck
Tim E

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oor wullie »

Thanks for that advice.

It is tempting to give up as I don't really need it, I just thought it would be nice to have it registered properly however I will see about getting in touch with the Ford and Fordson club first.

Tim

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

What is the number on the 'original V5'?

Is it a V5 or a buff log book? On some old log books they recorded the engine no rather than the tractor number on the bell housing.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!