No hydraulics

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

No hydraulics

Post by timbo123 »

Please can any one help me ? I am refurbishing a Fordson Dexta 1969 that does not have Hydraulics or lift arms fitted !....... Do I keep it original or do I modify it Fitting Hydraulic and Lift arms ? Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: No hydraulics

Post by fredthedog »

Hiya

Really depends whether you wish to attach and operate attachments. The bulk of deltas I've seen have/use hydraulics

Regards Nigel
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Before doing anything it might be good to check what you have. Check the engine number, serial number and a few casting codes.

Dextas were not made after 1964 so you may have got the date wrong but some very early ones from 1958 era were supplied without the lift, also some industrial ones. If you have one of these and intend to show it, putting a lift on would make it just like thousands of other Dextas out there.

If you want to use it and need hydraulics then it is up to you.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Hi Fred & Brain thanks for your help
As for the year sorry Brain I think its a 1959 !...... Not 1969 That is the year I was born lol
The serial number is 957E35534 that is the one on the clutch housing , am i right in saying its a 1959 ?
As for showing it yes I do intend to show it
Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

This it what it looked like when i picked it up
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Diesel Head

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Your tractor will be far more useful with hydraulics. Without them, all it can do is pull.

Is it yellow? if so prob an industrial model.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Hi Bensdexta
No its Blue Mate and i agree with you it would be far more useful with hydraulics but I want to keep it original not sure what to do ?.........
Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Hi Bensdexta
No its Blue Mate and i agree with you it would be far more useful with hydraulics but I want to keep it original not sure what to do ?.........
Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

Hi Tim

did you make a decision?? Hydraulics or not???

Rgds
N
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Hi Fredthedog

Well its now in 2020 and I've still not made a decision :(

My perfect scenario would be just fitting a hydraulic Pump no hydraulic top an arms

But i am unsure if this is possible ???????

Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

timbo123 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm
Hi Fredthedog

Well its now in 2020 and I've still not made a decision :(

My perfect scenario would be just fitting a hydraulic Pump no hydraulic top an arms

But i am unsure if this is possible ???????

Thanks Tim
Timbo,

please show us some pics. Why would you install a hydraulic pump. Is the back closed with a flat cover?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Hiya Mathias

i was thinking of install a hydraulic pump so i could run a few tings inc log splitter .Yes the back is closed with a flat cover

sorry i'm going to have to do some home work on how to post pictures

Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Diesel Head

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Diesel Head

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I regularly use my Dexta with a Logsplitter. with lift arms you have many distinct advantages:
1. You can move the Logsplitter to where you want to use it and put it back when finished.
2. The arms provide a solid brace when using the Logsplitter.
3. You can use the Logsplitter at a convenient height.
I drilled a suitable hole in the base of my Logsplitter to take a bolt in Ball hitch so I could also tow my trailer to a fallen tree etc with my tools.

If you fit a pump how are you going to couple the feed out to the Logsplitter? The usual tapping off is the External services valve on the hydraulic top.
You will need to tap the filler cap on the rear axle to take the return (Tank) hydraulic line also.

I think you have to make the choice based on Novelty - No Hydraulics which limits the scope of your needs or Practicality - Usefulness with Lift Arms.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

timbo123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbo123 »

Thanks Jerry

I want to keep my Dexta as original as I can but at the same time usable

I have got my self a rear end so I can make it into a Double Butt like the one in the picture i have attached this way I get to keep Dexta original and hydraulic inc arms

what are your thoughts on this

https://postimg.cc/pmT4BD9V

Thanks Tim
Diesel Head

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

PTO driven pump would be an option, or front-mounted as most diggers.
Post splitters don’t need a massive flow.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

timbo123 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:10 am
Thanks Jerry

I want to keep my Dexta as original as I can but at the same time usable

I have got my self a rear end so I can make it into a Double Butt like the one in the picture i have attached this way I get to keep Dexta original and hydraulic inc arms

what are your thoughts on this

https://postimg.cc/pmT4BD9V

Thanks Tim
the double butt would be a nice project, but not an easy one. Don't know how it's driven. Like Old Hywel says: a pto driven pump would be the easiest option.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Two PTO pumps on eBay now.

David M
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by David M »

Hi Tim,

I've been reading your post with interest as I am also faced with the same decision.

We have had a Dexta with no hydraulics in the corner of a shed for a number of years now. It was recovered from a hedge and needed a bit of work to get it going again. With having a bit of spare time recently we have finally got round to making a start on it.

We also have a stock of spares which includes another Dexta back end complete with hydraulics however, as we have other tractors with hydraulics, we don't need any on this one and thought it would be novel to leave it without.

Our tractor has a proper top cover but the holes for the lift arms and control quadrant are blanked off. Strangely though it is fitted with a top link yoke. The top cover is also fitted with the valve block for diverting to external services. It also appeared to be fitted with a hydraulic pump, but more on that further down!
In our spares we also have a Mil loader for a Dexta and have a notion to fit it to this tractor. Our initial thoughts were to feed a loader spool block from the external service tapping.
On stripping down the tractor we discovered that the hydraulic pump was actually just the pump body which didn't have anything inside it. I assume it was cheaper just to fit a body rather than produce special blanking plates when the tractor was assembled.
Not to worry though as we have a spare pump which can easily be transferred over.

We have now finished refurbing the engine and got it fitted so we tried the hydraulics. When engaged the engine does not labour so the oil is circulating without any issues however when we pulled the external service valve nothing happens. The diverter valve is dry.

There is no cylinder/valve assembly fitted under the top cover so the oil is simply circulating round the top valve block and returned back through the top cover and dropping down into the back end.
I believe, to get this to work I will need to fit the cylinder/valve assembly under the top cover. However, as there are no lift arms or control quadrant I'm not sure how this is going to work.
I'm absolutely no expert on tractor hydraulics but, from the diagrams in the workshop manual, I think I need the unloading valve to divert the oil back up to the external service valve. Without the rest of the components installed I'm not sure if this will function correctly.

I'll keep working on it but, in the meantime, if anybody can offer any suggestions they will be greatfully received.

Thanks,
David
-----------------------------------
It's a machine... it will fix!