Difficulty turning rear axle shaft after refurbishing bearin

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Difficulty turning rear axle shaft after refurbishing bearin

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys

I have just replaced my rear axles with new bearings complete, I have nuts securing the bearing on the axles, how difficult should it be to turn the axle? as I find it rather difficult to turn mine.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Difficulty turning rear axle shaft after refurbishing be

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi Mervyn,

Were the wheels on or off and did you set the clearance for the half shafts as described in the workshop manual? If there is any doubt, slacken the nuts securing the bearing carrier to the axle and see if it turns any easier.

Gerald

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerald

Thanks for responding. No the wheels are not on yet, I was turning on the hub. Unfortunately when the new bearings were put on not by me they were not packed with grease. I had the difficult job of packing and that's when I had my doubts about the nuts been to tight. :cry: I had the shaft in my vice when I was packing the grease. I will have to remove the axles and try releasing some pressure I suppose. I have to go to the engineers to pickup my hydraulic top so will ask him to check them out.
With regards the setting up of the bearing load I will need to find some threaded rod with the correct thread obviously not metric. Gerald how many shims did you require for the correct adjustment? I currently have 3 on each side but feel I may have to increase to 4. I cant remember how many there were on each side as I had two rear ends which I split and that was quiet a while ago :scratchhead: .
Please excuse the long story. :) I will report back later have a good day.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi,

Once the bearing is hard up aginst the shoulder over tightening the nuts will not affect them.
Reading the workshop manual it suggest that shims measuring 0.060" are fitted on one side. To adjust the clearance you only need to add or remove shims on one side. You require a 3/8" UNC bolt to measure the clearance or a 3/8" whitworth bolt will fit at a pinch.

Gerald

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerald, thank you for doing some research on the wheel bearing nut for me. I'm sure once the adjustments have been done and the wheel is on the tractor the wheel will turn with ease. I just need to find a 3/8" 16 UNC bolt long enough with nut and I should be A for away(don't know what is available in South Africa???). I think I must also buy myself a digital vernia to make accurate measurements on the shims. Until next time keep well and warm while we cook in SA. :wink:

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

No need to rub it in, just because you are basking in the sun and last night we had the hardest frost so far this year. Since I finished working in the middle East, the thing that I miss most apart from the money is the sun. I have just had an oil delivery today and it has cost me more than our Dextas' cost to buy new. :mrgreen:

Gerald

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Gee I'm sorry, that's real cruel, did you have any crop damage? Back to the 3/8" bolt no joy, but I can buy a one meter 3/8" threaded bar of which I will only use about 4" the rest will be a museum piece. :curse: plus nuts of course.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I have just checked the spares manual and the bolts which hold the bearing retainer at the rear of the gearbox are the correct thread, so possibly you could utilise one of them, if you have the lift cover off.

Gerald

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thanks Gerald, I bought a length of 3/8" threaded bar this afternoon with some nuts. I then cut two 9" lengths of the bar so am ready when I get my axles back from the engineers. I have a better understanding now why the bolt is necessary, learning slowly. :) I also bought myself a digital vernier to measure those shims that are required for the rear axle adjustment. Slightly of topic here, the cross shaft for the handbrake linkage bolted under the hydraulic housing needed some building up where it rotated within the bushes of the bracket supporting it. Had to have new bushes made up as well, hence the delay in picking up my rear axles.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I was informed by a tractor mac that my axle bearings are fine, so I have put them back on the tractor and will see once the wheels are back on.
I have started a new tread on how to measure the end float.