How do you measure rear axle shaft end float.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

How do you measure rear axle shaft end float.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

This is where I am totally illiterate :curse: :curse: . I have read up in my workshop manual how to do this umpteen times but can't make sense of it. Have any of you Dexta experts managed this task?
Where I am at the moment. Replaced both rear axles, bolted and torqued the right hand side axle then fitted the four studs and torqued the left side as per the manual. I have also screwed in my 3/8" bolt. The wedging etc. is what I do not catch, please help.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: How do you measure rear axle shaft end float.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys I'm back but unfortunately not with good news. I f I understand correctly in my case I have secured and torqued the right hub with 1.6mm of shim which thinking about it that would equate to 3.2 mm of shim on both sides. I tried placing a wedge between the axle and bearing retainer but get no movement outwards. So I wedged the tool between the axle and bearing retainer and moved to the left axle. With the 3/8" bolt/threaded bar in place and I tried to pull the axle back, no joy. In my mind I feel that I may have too many shims in place each shim measures 0.40mm. the manual recommends 1.5mm. Please guys I would desperately like to get this section completed. I know it is w/e but next week is fine. In the interim I am going to remove one shim on each side. :scratchhead:

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Mervyn,

The reason for wedging the one side is to take up any play in the bearing on that side. The reason for providing an overall clearance is to avoid the ends of the shafts from coming into contact, bearing in mind that the shafts turn at different speeds when the tractor is turning
turning.

The fact that you have no clearance at all, suggests to me that the ends of the shafts are in contact. In which case you require to add additional shims until sufficient clearance is obtained.

Gerald

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerald thank you very much for your advice. What I have noticed is that with the tractor in gear, and turning one axle 180degrees the opposite side turns 180 as well. In neutral both levers the hub sought of turns about 45degrees. That I would assume is what you are telling me and have to add shims which I have plenty of. I will give it a go after lunch and report back, thanks again Gerald.

Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Gerald
Somewhere I am still going wrong, this morning I had 4 x shims that my vernier reads 0.41 mm on both sides. As you suggested I need more shims. During the day I pulled the axles and removed one 0.41mm shim and replaced it with a 0.53mm according to my vernier, put it all together but still could not reach the 0.10-0.30 end play. I then pulled the axles again and added the 0.41mm that I had taken off. Still no end float. When I turn the shafts and the tractor is in gear the other shaft turns the opposite way, that is clear. While working on one side should the other side be wedged? :oops: I understand that by adding shims you are creating a gap between the two axle ends in the differential. The axle hub and bearing retainer are sliding into the axle housing beautifully, but I cannot seem to get the axle shaft to move out the 0.10-0.30mm end float. does that really have to be the case, there is at least a 4,5mm gap between the axle shaft and bearing retainer?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Does not appear that anyone has further comment on my problem :( . What I've done is used three 0.41shims and one 0.53 shim on both sides. My axle on the opposite side only turns the other direction when the tractor is in gear. I believe that the end float is okay, it is not going to be a work horse just a toy so what the hell. :wink:

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

Hi Mervyn,
Sorry if this is too late to help you but it may help others. Mike at www.tractormec.co.uk has a series of DVDs on restoring a Dexta. In the drum brake dvd he also replaces the rear axle oil seals. As part of that he shows a couple of methods of checking the end float. Basically he wedges one end of the axle whilst checking end float at the other end. First with a threaded bolt and feeler gauge and then with a dial test indicator.
There are trailors on YouTube but I think they are very good as they have helped me a lot. I have no vested interest.
Worth a look.

Good luck

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Johnmcm wrote:Mike at http://www.tractormec.co.uk has a series of DVDs on restoring a Dexta. In the drum brake dvd he also replaces the rear axle oil seals. As part of that he shows a couple of methods of checking the end float. Basically he wedges one end of the axle whilst checking end float at the other end. First with a threaded bolt and feeler gauge and then with a dial test indicator.
There are trailors on YouTube but I think they are very good as they have helped me a lot.
I have Mike's DVD on Dexta Hydraulics, it's first class.

He's also a very responsive and helpful guy if you email him, so I'd recommend his Dexta DVDs. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi John and Ben, I really appreciate you coming to my assistance and not to forget Gerald who also always tries to help me. I have sent an email off to Tractor Mec re the DVD you both mentioned. John when you have to pull those axles out time and again you do get exhausted and frustrated, but I look forward to receiving the DVD and move on to the hydraulic side. :D

Thanks again Guys
Mervyn Spencer.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi Mervyn,

I hope that the DVD answers all your questions and enables you to set up the rear axle correctly. I look forward to reading your comments once you have finished the adjustments.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and happy and prosperous New Year.

Gerald

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerald
I do want to order the DVD but first want to find out what the difference in shipping will be. Either I get my daughter to order it or me myself. Yes I will let you know of my progress thanks.
Ye Gerald thanks for the wishes and I wish you and your family the same.
Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Just to report back and thank you for the link to Tractormec John, worked out very well once I had a few chats with Mike Perry. I have now setup my end float replaced brakes and drums. Cant do any more in that area as I am now needing to setup my hydraulic linkages on the hydraulic top and reposition it, don't need rear wheels in my way. Very exited with the Rear Drum DVD and expecting my DVD on the hydraulics in the next two days. :D