Upper Dash Panel

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Upper Dash Panel

Post by charlie63 »

Im at the stage of building up my upper dash panel and have a few queries as this was dismantled when I got the tractor.
Does the temp gauge and the lenses sit into the panel and then the rubber gasket and aluminium plate then sit on top of these to hold them in place. If this is the case I have about a 5mm gap and dont want to tighten the screws as this will distort it. Are the holes in the rubber gasket supposed to fit round the lenses and the temp gauge. At the moment the hole for the temp gauge is too small making it sit on the chrome bezel rather than round it. I removed the seal that was on the temp gauge to see if it would allow it to seat down but this made no difference. Are these replacement rubber gaskets made to the original spec?? Appreciate any advice.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Upper Dash Panel

Post by Bensdexta »

Have a look at these, maybe some help. Have a search for some other threads/pics.

You need a temp gauge that fits inside the bezel of the top dash and the correct warning lights also.

Also most of the repro rubber gaskets are poor as they have no recess for the warning lights. I made my own rubber gaskets, used thin rubber sheet to build up the req'd thickness and provide the necessary recesses. The sheet is easy to source and can be cut with scissors or trimmed with a Dremel.

Good luck, a fiddle but worth getting right for that authentic, original look.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=23432
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?t=3410
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bensdexta,
Thanks for the reply. Ive had a trawl through the forum and found a cracking picture you had posted back in Nov 2009 regarding Instrument Panel Screws and Bolts which shows the upper dash panel. My Temp gauge fits perfect in to the upper panel but found you cant fit the retaining bracket as this fouls the tabs on the tank that hold the speed clips for the retaining screws.My rubber gasket has the holes for the warning lamps and ive purchased the lenses from Forge Tractor Services which I found a link on the forum for. Ive got rubber gasket that I can make a new gasket if I muck this one up altering it. :D

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Sounds like you are well on the way.

I don't remember having any particular problems with fitting the temp gauge. I expect you can fettle it...?

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bensdexta,

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at your topics you had quoted and everything looks clear now. Just a bit of fettling required and im sure I will get there. As I said earlier the warning lamp lenses I purchased from Forge and the bulb holders are the twin wired insulated ones im using so hopefully shouldnt have a problem with these. Will keep you posted as I progress. Appreciate your help. :D

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Finally managed to get my upper dash panel and warning lights fitted. Went and purchased another gasket as I wasnt happy with the first attempt at trimming. I used my hole punches this time which I forgot I had to make a nice tidy job and one of them was just the perfect size for the warning lamps to fit through. As I previously said I wasnt happy with the warning lamps that came with my loom so purchased a set and also lenses from Forge Tractor Services. All in all im happy with the outcome and im sure couldnt have been achieved without the information and help from Ben and the site.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Glad it worked out
Perfect job! :clap: