Bufurcated Rivets

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Bufurcated Rivets

Post by charlie63 »

Help please!! Im at the stage of fitting my bonnet rubber on my newly painted nose cone and bonnet. The rubber came with bufurcated rivets. What is the best way to fit these without damaging them?? All the years ive been a mechanic ( 37 to be exact ) ive never came across these type of rivets. Are this type of rivet same as original?? Appreciate your help and advice.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Bufurcated Rivets

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie 63, as far as the two dextas my father owned and the two( one for spares) and the other one that I am trying to restore have slightly bevelled round head rivets that are hollow with a small washer. The rivet was pushed thru the hole and rubber the washer placed over it and the end of the hollow rivet was pressed down onto the washer and the result was very neat. I bought some new rubber for my Dexta and the rivets sound like the rivets you are referring too. Sometime back one of the members assured me that those rivets you or I bought were used since the early years? The rivets that were used on my tractors could have been a South African product. I will the fixing of the rivets to someone who has used them. :scratchhead:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

The bifurcated rivets that commonly come with repro bonnet rubbers aren't the same as original, but they do OK.

I installed mine in a slightly amateurish way but it worked. Fit the rivet thru the rubber and the bonnet panel. Find something firm to rest the head of the rivet and panel on, piece of wood, or kitchen table etc. Then splay out the end of the rivet on the inside with a small screw driver, and tap down with a suitable small punch and light hammer. A helper to hold the panel whilst you tap, tap helps.

Sounds a bit gash, but give it a go, take your time and you will manage a neat job. :D
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Many thanks for the replies guys.
I dont think the wife would take too kindly at me hammering on the kitchen table Bensdexta lol. I will take my time and attempt fitting tomorrow. Ive a varied selection of V shaped punches which sound as though they will do the job. Just want to make a neat and tidy job so wasnt sure if there was a certain way to fit them. :D