How to remove Hydraulic Lift Arms from splined shaft

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

How to remove Hydraulic Lift Arms from splined shaft

Post by malcolmg »

I would like to remove the hydraulic lift arms from their splined shaft and renew the bushes which are well worn.
Does anyone have experience of how best to get them off.
I doubt mine would ever have been off since originally installed in 1959!
Thanks malcolmg

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: How to remove Hydraulic Lift Arms from splined shaft

Post by ianpdexta »

I guess a big puller, not that I know where to buy one, if your metal working skills are up to it then I would make one. I don't know if anyone else has any tricks for removing these except applying heat and plus gas alternately over a few days.

Regards

Ian

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

I had a hard time getting my steering arms off their splined shafts. Eventually I got a pitman arm puller and impact gun, worked a treat.
Good luck

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

It can be tough by all accounts. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

malcolmg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by malcolmg »

Looks like I will have a bit of a fight, but will let all know what I end up with, thanks. Malcolmg

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Malcolm,
Ive just stripped my lift assembly off this morning and the cross shaft bushes are worn on mine as well so will need to be replaced. Ive searched high and low on the good old interweb but cannot find replacement bushes. Where did you manage to find bushes for your lift??
I have also noticed that the top left lift arm has had a bodge weld repair done to it so will have to try and find one of those as well. Did you mange to get your cross shaft out??I have access to a 50t hydraulic press so it may come in handy when I come to strip it down. Appreciate any info.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Cross shaft only comes out in one direction, check which side the washer is on and push the opposite way.

Heat and thrash is the only way to get those arms off. Plenty of copper grease on the splines when you put them back.

Not had any reaction to the pump pictures Charlie, I have been otherwise engaged for the last few months so have not given it much attention.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Many thanks for the info Brian.
I have access to a lathe and was wondering what your thoughts are of turning cross shaft bushes made of Nylatron or would I be better sticking with brass. I was going to give it a go at turning myself as I cant locate new bushes anywhere. Its not as though the lift will be used on a daily basis and we use Nylatron on the cranes for sheaves etc which is very hard wearing. The stop pin on the position control linkage that sits on the cam is badly worn and been bodged in the past by the looks of it so will have to replace that. There seems to be a bit of wear on the position control linkage and actuating lever where they locate on the control lever shaft. How much wear would you say would be acceptable??Apart from that the rest of the lift controls look in pretty good shape.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I realise this is a late reply but I have posted it in the hope it is of use to others searching for a way of removing a stubborn lift arm or steering drop arm. After trying pullers, heat and plusgas to remove a stuck drop arm off its spline I bought this puller from Screwfix as it looked as if it would cup around the drop arm. It worked a treat - came off it minutes so might work for hydraulic lift arms.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bearing-sepa ... ller/19315.
Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed