Lift Crosshaft Bushes

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Lift Crosshaft Bushes

Post by charlie63 »

Information required for the lift crosshaft bushes please. Ive read most of the postings regarding removing the crosshaft so hopefully this should not be a problem as well as Brians information regarding which way to press out due to the thrust washer. I was going to turn new bushes on the lathe but have found bushes on fixthatford website in the states which are only $15 each. They list them saying they fit the following, Dexta/Super Dexta,2000,4000 as well as a few other models. Agriline have bushes for the 2000 part # 5293 following dimensions 60.30mm x 50.70mm x 54.50mm. Will these bushes fit my Dexta without any modification and I gather the original bushes are made of mild steel and not brass. Appreciate the help.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Lift Crosshaft Bushes

Post by Tubal Cain »

I would be wary of dimensions qouted by Agriline, I ordered Dexta brake shaft bushes from them, which I returned as they were incorrect. They now advertise a bush which fits both the Dexta brake and clutch shafts, these shafts have different diameters.

I am almost certain that the lift arm cross shaft bushes are phosphor bronze, If mild steel bushes were used with a steel shaft there is a possibility of them "picking up" and cold welding to each other.

In your earlier post you queried the possibilty od using plastic bushes, this site https://www.directplastics.co.uk/ has a very good technical section with information relating to the various plastics which they supply.

Gerald

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Gerald,
Many thanks for the information.
Its still a consideration to turn bushes out of plastic. My lift wont be used on a daily basis once the tractor is complete but probably just to have a play about with the plough now and again and attend the odd ploughing match.
The other thought as well was to see if the housing can be drilled and tapped to fit grease nipples for the greasing of the bushes.
Ive lost count of replacement parts ive received and modified the latest ones being my steering box side panels. After painting them ready for fitting have found they will need to be modified to fit. Lesson learned always trial fit parts before painting.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I could go on for days about the C rap Quality of Parts on the Vintage tractor market from my own experience. I would try and get original bushes myself, the same bushes were used on the Ford 3000 and later tractor from memory.

I have now shown the pump pictures to a number of my colleagues who were there at the introduction of the Dexta and who saw some very early versions. None can remember ever seeing that pump or the "special" pump mounting plate with two areas to view the timing marks.

I will keep digging Charlie but you have a very rare one there.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Brian,
Many thanks for the reply and appreciate your help with your wealth of knowledge. Hope you and your family had a great christmas.
Your certainly right when it comes to the quality of replacement parts.
I am going to wait until Ive stripped down the lift cover completely then measure up for the crosshaft bushes and see if my local New Holland dealer can come up with original bushes to match.
I really appreciate your time and efforts in attempting to find out information with regards to the engine. As you said previously it should raise some interest when I come to show it. :D

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Looking for more expert advise please. Ive finally managed to get my upper lift arms removed and the hydraulic cross shaft removed. My wallet is now £260 lighter lol. The first guys had to cut the arms off as they were seized solid and no amount of heat and pressure and hitting with a sledge hammer would remove them, thankfully and with the kindness of Rob ( Dungatherer ) I have replacement arms. We then had 40t of pressure on the cross shaft and heating the centre cam housing wouldnt remove it and £70 lighter for that. I ended up taking it to another engineering company who finally managed to remove the cross shaft and bushes with 62t of pressure and heat and £192 lighter. Now my problem that I thought the bushes were worn was wrong and it is actually the shaft that is worn/splines missing due to corrosion and in poor condition as you will see from the pictures.
As most of you will know the cross shaft is no longer available or the bushes but with a lot of measuring and checking it looks like the cross shaft bushes for the 8N/9N are the correct dimensions ( please correct me if im wrong ) and can be had from OLD20 Tractor Parts.Also it looks like the cross shaft for a MF35 is the same dimensions. Has anyone had the experience of this before I would appreciate any help or advice before purchasing.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I cannot answer the question, but I will say how impressed I am with your determination. :beer: :clap:

Regards

Ian

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks Ian. Ive come so far and spent so much time and money on the old girl I just want her to be spot on. A lot of my mates say that im too much of a perfectionist but im afraid thats the way I was taught that a job isnt worth doing if its not done right. Now ive had a lot of information back regarding the cross shaft for the MF35 ( sorry for using the red word on here) and it seems to measure up to the dimensions I have from my original shaft so I have ordered one. Can only wait in anticipation till it arrives to see if it will fit. The only difference I can see so far from the different pictures of the new shaft is the end retaining plates and bolts for the upper arms. Will keep everyone updated as im sure there is bound to be others that have been or are in the same situation.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Just an update on my cross shaft. Ive received my new one and compared it to my old one. 3 differences that I can see but should not affect the fitment.
No 1 :The overall length of the new shaft is around 6mm longer which I can resolve by turning the ends in the lathe. A correct measurement will be taken before turning.
No 2 : The centre splines are offset instead of being central like the old one. I cant see any problem with this as all the splines will be inside the Ram to Cylinder Arm. ( Maybe someone can correct me if im wrong on this.)
No 3 : The upper arm retaining plates are 2 hole instead of 1 hole. This will be rectified by either getting the correct plates or making new ones.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

From the look of your picture there will only be half the splines in the centre housing which is not a good idea. I have a couple of lift top covers in my workshop with possible usable cross shafts in them which could be Ok
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Brian,
I went out and double checked again. The photograph maybe doesnt show it clearly .The centre splines are 3" long on both shafts. The ram to cylinder arm splines are 5" in length running the full width of the arm. The new one the splines are offset but will cover 3" of the ram to cylinder arm splines leaving 2" at one end. The old shaft the splines are central covering 3" of the centre of the ram to cylinder arm splines leaving 1" left either side. Do you think that this would still be a problem. Im away again on Tuesday for my 4 weeks in Africa so wont be back to rebuilding the cover again until I come home. Appreciate your offer of a lift shaft. May have to take you up on that yet.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Brian,
Ive taken a couple of photos to show the position of the splines of the new and old shafts and how they would sit in relation to the cylinder arm. Hopefully they will show what I was trying to explain in my earlier post. I really appreciate your expert opinion.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Why are the splines on the new shaft offset?

Are the Dexta and MF cylinder arms different?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Why ask Ben! the answer is evident, its a Bl***Y Ferguson part! :curse: :curse: :curse: :D :D :D
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Why ask Ben! the answer is evident, its a Bl***Y Ferguson part! :curse: :curse: :curse: :D :D :D
Certainly one explanation!

Looks like the MF ram is offset - what a pita! :(

I wonder who makes the MF shafts and whether they would make us a batch of proper shafts, as it should be easy to move the splines?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A Ford 3000 or 2000 one should fit. They are possibly more available than Dexta ones.
Brian

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Brian/Ben,
Ive looked at the diagram of the lift cover on the MF35 and the arm does sit slightly off centre which would answer why the splines are not central on the shaft. Ive checked the 2000/3000 cross shaft and it wont fit as it has 42 outer splines and 53 centre splines.
As the tractor would only be doing a few ploughing matches and hopefully I can get the correct plough for it once its finished I cant see fitting the new shaft as being a problem. I can see where your coming from Brian in that the splines would be sitting to one side of the arm but all the splines would still be sitting completely inside the arm if you know what I mean.