super dexta lift pump

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
basewindow
True Blue

super dexta lift pump

Post by basewindow »

Out doing mowing today and started to lose power and eventually stopped. Seemed like a fuel issue as it started again, ran roughly for 10 or so seconds then stopped. Plently of fuel in the tank.
Assumed there was a blockage somewhere and commenced to bleed the fuel lines.
Plenty of fuel to lift pump coming in.
Bit of a dribble on the out side.
Loosened bleed screws at filter and primed lift.
Nothing coming out the bleed screws at the filter manually primimg the lever and nothing turning over the engine.
I assume i need a new fuel lift pump?
Any other thoughts or ideas before i buy and put a new one in?
Cheers,
Cam
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Re: super dexta lift pump

Post by basewindow »

Whilst im on the fuel side of things, does anyone have a diagram of the simms minitec injector pump for the super dexta? The one in the manual is of the old one for the dexta. Im sure a had one but can find it and a quick search of the forum only came up with one for the major.
cheers all.
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds like it is a lift pump problem but to be sure, turn the engine about half a turn and see if the fuel flow out of the pump increases when you operate the primer.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Can i run a temp fuel line directly to the fuel filter inlet and bypass the fuel lift to get her running in the meantime? Ie just gravity feed from tank?
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Ok its definitely the lift pump. Turned the engine as suggested and still nothing with manual priming of the lift. In fact there is no resistance when doing that and no fuel pumping out.
Bypassed the pump with a small piece of tube and bled the lines. Nice flow now to the injector pump and to injectors and she is running again.
New pump on order.
Any issues running her like this in the meantime? Fuel delivery issues on steep inclines i guess?
Is it ok to leave the old lift pump in-situ with the fuel ports unplugged?
Thanks
Cam.
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you bypassed the fuel filter? If so would not run her many hours. The fuel pump will be OK for a short while.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

No not the fuel filter. Just a short tube between the in and out of the lift pump. Basically bypassing only the fuel lift pump.
62 Super Dexta.