Has anyone bought a temp gauge recently?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Has anyone bought a temp gauge recently?

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Good morning :-)

I've heard all the stories about poor fitting temperature gauges so I wondered if anyone has bought one recently and would be able to point me to a retailer who supplies the correct size please? I have an original top dash plate so am wanting everything to fit nicely with minimal fuss.

Also, there's so many styles of warning lamps available. Can anyone tell/show me which style is correct for a '64 Super Dexta?

Thanks,

Sam

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: Has anyone bought a temp gauge recently?

Post by ianpdexta »

I bought one from Agriline, it seems to work ok and the bezel was the correct profile with the rim that protrudes through the rubber and dash plate. The thing with these is that the capillary tube to the sensor head is very long so you have to lose about a 12" worth of it, coiled up somewhere, but I can live with that.

You also mention warning lamps, my old ones were rotten, the ones that came with the new wiring loom were rubbish, the bulb wouldn't fit into one of them and then after leaving the key turned on for quite long period the black plastic inside melted from the heat of the 2.2w bulb. Also the claw grip things which are meant to fit into the holders weren't the right shape so were hard to install and when they were in it was loose. I bought some others from a vintage car web site, these were better but they still needed a bit of tweaking, they take a screw in bulb (MES). For the two upper dash lights I retained the old chromed barrels and fitted new red and green lens robbed from modern neon indicators.

It amazing how much trouble we have to go to sometimes! Good luck.

Regards

Ian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Pretty certain that Super D warning lights are the same as for a Standard D.

Have a search on here for lenses and bulb holder. You want insulated bulb holders (two wires), and can get them from Autosparks. I suggest pressed steel lens holders, see Forge Services.

eg see, http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=23432
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks Ben, a lot of useful information there.
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...