Handbrake Lever Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ianpdexta
True Blue

Handbrake Lever Super Dexta

Post by ianpdexta »

The Handbrake Lever on my Super Dexta is in a mess, I really need to take it off to repair the pawl mechanism. The question is How? it seem to be captive between the trumpet and the brake back plate.

Will the back plate come off without withdrawing the half shaft?

Regards

Ian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Handbrake Lever Super Dexta

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ian
Just read your question about the hand brake. I think your fears are forgiven, what you will have to do is remove the rear wheel, the brake drum and brake shoes and you will notice the shaft that the hand break is fixed too can slip out toward you provided that you have removed the hand brake linkages. Removing the brake shoes is rather a tricky job I found. The shaft actually slips out of a bush in the trumpet housing. While there check the bushes of the hand brake lever and the one in the trumpet housing. My simple explanation on what to do may involve a bit more to remove but I just wanted to allay your initial fears.
I recently purchased a very informative DVD on "Tractor Drum Brakes" from Tractormec.co.uk and wow what value for money.

Mervyn.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Hi Ian,
just come in from working on my handbrake an hour ago!
If you don't think you can remove the pawl in-situ then there is no quick way. Following on from what Mervyn says:

Remove wheel.
Back off brake adjuster. Remove 2 screws that hold brake drum, brake drum, 4 retaining spring clips.
Exciting part, because those springs are real strong: shove your knee into bottom brake shoe (to hold it against back plate) & with a lever bar lift top shoe and with other hand remove adjuster (watch fingers). Gently let tension off bar and everything should sort of collapse - front 3 springs will still be tight though. Don't mess around with screwdrivers, make a loop of wire (I used 1/16" reinforcing tie-off wire) use this to hook around hook of red springs to pull 'em off.

Once shoes are out the road the shaft should be able to be slid out from inner trumpet bush. It will help if you pop out the 2 clevis pins on brake lever. The brake lever is keyed.

Reassembly of the brake drums is exact reversal of above, and I still have all my fingers. :beer:
John

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well explained there John, you have the words and experience. :D :D . Glad you still have all your fingers.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thank you both, I am relieved that it only the wheel and brake that needs to come off (and the wing presumably).

It's no bad thing that I look at the brakes anyway. I'll post some pictures as it comes apart.

Regards

Ian

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

I had my wing off already (took me a whole day to get the 2 bolts out of the axle housing!).