Thrust washer on lift cross-shaft.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Thrust washer on lift cross-shaft.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie,
Thank you for going the extra mile for me much appreciated. Okay we seem to be on the same road here, although I still seem to have my cross shaft moving rather freely from side to side. I am not going to fuss about it until I have mounted it on the tractor with the lift arms. I spent most of the afternoon assembling the linkages but find that the turnbuckle does not line up with the actuating lever. I think I have just seen my problem looking at the workshop manual again fig 29, page 19 section 8, hydraulic power lift. Need to check it out now.
Thanks again Charlie

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I had the activating lever reversed. :oops:

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Sorry I seem to have picked you up wrong. The reason for the thrust washer is to remove side movement on the ram to cylinder arm when fitted on the crosshaft as when the bushes are fitted these protrude into the inside of the liftcover slightly. The crossshaft if nice and free inside the ram to cylinder arm will still have side movement on it until the upper lift arms are fitted. Ive just noticed a mistake I have made and obviously was not paying attention when refitting my new parts. Looking at the parts manual the thrust washer should be fitted on the right side I. E. the side with the cam and not the left side which I have fitted it to. Looks like I will have to remove a bush and refit it correctly.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie,
When I went back to my lift top last night to correct my error with the activating lever, I had a hard look at my washer which is adjacent to the cam on the arm and started to think now which is correct. I'm sorry you have to now go thru the effort of reversing the washer, how difficult is it to do that?

Another washer that I found missing is fig. 28 on page 36 of the Fordson Dexta and Super Dexter parts list, referred to as "Washer,5/8 x 1 Flat Special. I used a normal thin Nish 5/8 flat washer which so far has had no adverse affect hopefully won't be a problem later.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
You have your thrust washer fitted correctly. It will only take me a short time to swap over mine as what you see in the photo is as far as I have got with the lift cover rebuild. Ive been busy making up a new pin that fits in the arm ( the one that wears ) and stripping and cleaning the rear axle. I had a look at the 5/8" washer as well as I have to replace this too which is just a normal washer at 1" O.D. from what I can see.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, thanks for the confirmation. With regards that 5/8 washer I used an recovered washer from a radius arm to front axle bolt which was about right and am now at a point where all my links and activating items are working fine short of a new clevis pin for the arm and "dog bone" push rod, and couple of circlips. Fortunately the pin you are referring to of mine was replace awhile ago. Well done on you so far keep it up, I will report back as I progress. Regards.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I need to back track here, the 5/8"x 1" .096" washer is supposed to be a special washer. The part numbers are as follows as time moved on: 351502-S, then changed to 351502S36 and finally the CNH number 83935198. My question is what is so special about this washer please? :stress: Just when you think you are progressing you have to take two steps back. :x

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Please guys, is there nobody that can tell me what is so special about the washer in question, I eventually received a quote for this so called special washer, but at a price I could fly to the UK at. Secondly is there an 'o' ring anywhere on the Control Lever Shaft referred to as item 46 in the parts list, page 32 to prevent any oil finding its way along the shaft and fouling the friction washer?
Thank you Mervyn.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Mervyn,

I wouldn't get too carried away with the nitty gritty, obviously Ford considered that a special washer was required. However, the requirement has been lost in time, and Brian hasn't shed any light on it. I can't find ay reference to an 'O' ring in the parts book and I do not remember seeing one when I have worked on the Hydraulic cover.

To set your mind at ease, I have two covers in the workshop which I will examine to see if there is a special washer.

For anyone who may be interested, the Sparex site lists "Bush Hydraulic Lift Shaft, 60.2 x 50.8 x 35.8mm" under Part No. S.41425. These are available from Malpas Tractors for £4.93 each inclusive.

Gerald

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Hi Mervyn,

I have found an assembly complete with the washer, it is just a plain steel washer which possibly is special because it is thicker than a standard washer. I didn't check to see if it is hardened.

Whilst searching for the washer, I found a bush for the cross shaft which I measured as approximately 3" long by 2" internal diameter with an external diameter of 60mm (2.475"). Which suggests the the Bushes stocked by Sparex are incorrect.

Gerald

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Gerald,
When I was looking for the crosshaft bushes I got in touch with quite a few different suppliers to ask the dimensions of various bushes. The only ones which I found were the ones I previously mentioned from OLD20 Tractor Parts which are a perfect match to the original ones and which I have fitted to my lift cover. They are a bit pricey at 50 quid for the 2 bushes including postage but at least they are the correct ones.

Mervyn,
The washer which you mentioned I found is nothing special but just a normal 5/16" X 1" O.D. washer and thats what I have just fitted.

Regards
Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you Gerald and Charlie for your effort in helping me, much appreciated. I was able to buy a flat washer locally which has an OD of 26mm x ID of 12.5mm and 2mm thick. I had the ID turned out to 5/8" to slip over the shaft, now to assemble the lift top in the next couple of days. I've read in the w/shop manual that one should put the top in a vice to do the necessary adjustments, rather a tough request to get that damn heavy piece into a vice :eyes:
My plan is to lift it up using a w/shop crane that should work. Wish me luck. :)
Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Glad to be of some help. Ive not managed to get my lift cover fully rebuilt this time home ive still to set it all up and only managed to get the lower lift arm pin on the trumpet replaced as well as the brakes and halfshafts stripped ready for rebuilding. Also managed to get all the rear axle cleaned out ready for the new oil. I was banned from the workshop for a week as my good lady was off on holiday so was well warned to stay away from the tractor lol. Im away back to Angola again tomorrow so it will have to wait for my return in 4 weeks time. Sounds like you are well on your way. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, Hopefully tomorrow I shall be able to set up my lift top now that I have managed to gather all the necessary items required. A pity you were banned from your workshop. Glad you are ready to start the rebuild of your half shafts and brakes. Which half shafts do you have, the ones with the big nut retainer or the collar? Fortunately I was able to swap shafts with the big retainer nut. I had a long delay from time of inserting my shafts and brake back plates due to confusion on the end float adjustment. Once that was sorted the brakes assembly went rather easily.
What are you busy with in Angola and do you need security to keep you safe?
Well good luck to you as well Charlie with your Dexta although you do have a time handicap been so far away from home. I will keep you informed on my progress, fortunately I'm now retired so can spend more time on my Dexta plus other chores.
Regards Mervyn.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Good luck with setting up your lift. The instructions on how to do it available on the forum look straight forward enough and will certainly put them to use when I come to set my one up. The half shafts that I have are the early ones with it being a 58 tractor with the collars rather than the nuts. That was a bonus you being able to swap your for the shafts with the lock nuts. Im going to purchase brake linings rather than complete shoes and reline the shoes myself so will have plenty to keep me busy on my return from work. I was hoping to have it ready by now for taking to the various vintage rallies to show but one thing or another has held me up. At least with you being retired you have an interest and hobby to keep you busy. Im on a 4/4 rotation down in Angola working offshore and its safe enough. The great thing is it gives me plenty of time when im home to work on the Dexta if the good lady doesnt have a list of chores for me to do lol. Keep up the good work.
Regards
Charlie.