Half Shaft Oil Seals

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Half Shaft Oil Seals

Post by charlie63 »

Now that ive cleaned out the rear axle and replaced the lower arm link pin on the trumpet Ive decided to replace the half shaft oil seals.The inner ones are no problem and easy enough to replace but the outer ones are a different kettle of fish. My bearings and hub carrier are the early type with a sweated on retaining collar and not a retaining nut. Looking at the workshop manual it seems easy enough to replace these if you have the special tools available. Question is can these be replaced without the special tools and also are the collars still available as you have to split the old ones to be able to remove them or do I just leave them as is. To me it looks like the inner ones will stop any rear axle oil contamination and the outer ones are only seals for the wheel bearings. Am I correct in saying this and so would get away with only replacing the inner ones. Appreciate any advice/help.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: Half Shaft Oil Seals

Post by kiwiland dexta »

IMHO do them all while you have the chance! From experience you will need a press, I replaced with the red brand tractor equivalent and they were just fine.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.