Advice for getting Dexta ready for work.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
corey892
Not Quite Blue Yet

Advice for getting Dexta ready for work.

Post by corey892 »

Hello everyone, I have been looking here for awhile but this is my first post. There is a lot of great information here and seems to be a great resource. I have a Fordson Dexta that I believe to be a 1958. A brief history on the tractor is that I inherited it in 2012 after losing my father and grandfather fairly close together. To the best of my knowledge my grandfather purchased this tractor new and it has been in my family since. I brought it home in 2012 and replaced the lift pump and battery to get it running and it seems to run well but I don't believe the tractor has been used daily since at least 2010. I recently purchased a new home with 19 acres of land and want to use this tractor mainly for a bush hog, finish mower, and blade as well as any other projects where it would come in handy. I plan to go over the tractor and change fluids and service it but was just curious if there are some specific things I should also look at as well. I would like to restore this tractor some day but as of now it would greatly benefit me as something to use for working around the house. I also plan to put a spin on oil filter on it as I think this would be a beneficial mod. I plan to buy a I&T manual to have for the tractor but am not sure if these are more of a general manual or have the specifics for the Dexta. Any advice that I could collect in getting this thing ready for use would be greatly appreciated.

PghBill
True Blue

Re: Advice for getting Dexta ready for work.

Post by PghBill »

Corey,
Before you buy any manuals. Check out Stefans workshop manual link. It's listed above your post under Discussions. And the Fordson Wiki page.
Username = fordsontractorpages and password = dotty
Bill

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Re: Advice for getting Dexta ready for work.

Post by kiwiland dexta »

With the fluids change don't ignore the oil bath at the base of the air filter - remove the bath, drain the old oil and wipe out the bath itself - amazing what accumulates over a few days hard work!
Clean out the bugs and other stuff sucked into the radiator -( I just turn a hose onto it from the inside) grease everything.
Go mow!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.