dexta rev

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
sky blue
True Blue

dexta rev

Post by sky blue »

hi all, i have just noctied the rev on my super dexta , i dont know if this is the norm or not
but when the tractor is stoped and on tick over engine running, i give it a full rev ,the needle
will go up to 16 on clock but will drop down to say 12 or 10 this is with throtle full open it then
will fluctionate up to 16 and drop down to 10 it does not stay at 16 full open is this normal,
thank you skyblue

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: dexta rev

Post by ianpdexta »

That doesn't sound normal, will it keep the revs up when working hard? I think the maximum revs is more like 2000rpm ?? but don't quote me.

It sounds like either, restricted fuel supply, clogged tank strainer or fuel filter
or
injection pump trouble, but fuel restriction is more likely and much cheaper to fix. :)

Regards

Ian

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

yes it does seem alright when working although iwouldnt need to be running flat out when working
her she will run in top gear flat out on the road at about 14 , this seem fast enough even when pulling
a 1 1/2 to 2 ton any faster and you couldnt sit on the seat anyway :D youd be bumping all over the place.
when , as i was saying ijust noticed that when stoped iif i pull down on throtle an keep her full open
she will run up to about 16 an fluctuate up and down between 10 an 16 this is her limit my be the clock
could be plying up ill check the filters any as you say , thanking you for your reply

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Check the rev cable where it enters the injector pump. Unscrew the coupling and see if the end of the cable has not possibly worn round, it should actually be square. Try nipping the end with some pliers to get it back to square. When the rev cable is out look into the slot and you will notice it is square. I experienced something similar many moons ago and the trick worked. you may get some other clues as time goes on.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

thanks mervyn will give it a go, if the pump end is rounded is there any way this can be
repaired easily or is it off to machine shop,

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Sky blue, before I try and give my opinion on the possibility of the pump end been round, have you had any luck in resolving the problem? Personally I would wrap some very thin wire around the end of the cable and put a bit of solder on it to hold it then square it up again with a file. I vaguely recall that the slot where the cable fits into can be exposed by removing the adaptor plate which would give you better access to the drive unit. Give it a bit of a squeeze but be very gentle. However that would be my last resort. I must admit it was a very long time ago that I worked on my rev cable. I will go back and see if I do have some reference and get back to you. I hope there are some other suggestion forth coming for you. Cheers.