Replacing the ignition switch 1960

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Cvans
True Blue

Replacing the ignition switch 1960

Post by Cvans »

I believe this is a 1960. It is NOT a Super Dexta.
Went to start the Dexta today and it didn't work out well. Turned on the key and everything was fine. As soon as I pushed the starter lever I lost all power. The battery is charged and the fuse is good and there is power there. I've noticed the last couple of times I used it that I had to wiggle the key to get the power to turn on so I'm thinking the switch is bad. There appears to be 6 screws holding the cover on that houses the switch. 2 on each side and 2 on the front down near the bottom. When I turn the ones on the front they will not come out. Feels like there are nuts on the back turning with the screws.
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this cover off. :scratchhead:
Thanks for your help.
Chris

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Replacing the ignition switch 1960

Post by Tubal Cain »

If you look at the back of the panel below the fuel tank, there are two bolts which secure the panel to the fuel tank support. Remove the bolts and pull the panel away, you may have to disconnect the tachometer drive cable and be careful not to strain the wiring.

Gerald

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

It could be the switch as you suspect but it isn't necessarily so, loosing all power when you switch on a heavy load might be the battery connections, check both ends of both leads, all should be clean and tight. Rarely seen now but I remember in the 70s Lucas Pacemaker batteries (white case) were prone to the lead links between cells cracking which would give exactly the same symptoms.

Regards

Ian

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Thanks! I will take the side covers off and see if I can see the screws under the tank.
Not all the voltage was lost. Everything after the switch is dead. Primary voltage to the solenoid is still good as is the voltage going to the switch.
Chris

Cvans
True Blue

Post by Cvans »

Got it opened up this evening. Found a mouse nest, Sparrow nest with 3 babies under the fuel tank Blasted tree mice.
Don't know how I'm ever going to get the fuel cut off cable hooked back up to the back of the injector pump. :roll:
Going to hook up a temporary switch till the new one gets here.
Thanks again for heading me in the right direction.
Chris