Rearrange the forum topics?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rearrange the forum topics?

Post by jdaley »

I hope it does not appear very presumptuous of me to suggest the topics be re ordered into smaller groups.
Currently it is difficult to read through the 2600 topics. I have worked with a similar site and the sections were broken down to say, Engine, rear axle, front end, Implements, PTo, Hydraulics.
I know it seems like and enormous task but in reality, once the topics have been established it is easy to relocate them.
Even if the job was split between a number of people.
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Rearrange the forum topics?

Post by oehrick »

Gday

Just in case you have not approaced it this way, the search facility works very well for a specific search and the advanced search offers means of bracketing threads or topics to reduce search time and eliminate results related to unrelated models etc.

Also, if you set your opening page to display only topics created or updated since your last login or visit you will find it probably averages out to 4-6 or so postings a day which makes keeping up with the latest postings much simpler.

I'd be surprised if those that physically maintain the site are likely to be able to retrospectively implement your suggestion and I'm certainly not alone in being greatly appreciative that they have created and sustain this marvelous resource for us all to use and enjoy.

Alternatively are you IT savvy ? an organisation that I am part of has as rule No 1 'them that makes the suggestion gets given the job', suggestions are few, complaints nil and while not perfect, progress is mostly positive and harmonious ;)

I think half an hour experimenting with the advanced search might give results equal to or better than would result from your suggested subdivision.

Others opinions, may of course differ :eyes:

Users own posting disclipline helps too, eg this thread posted in the Dexta section may well not be read by those disinterested in the model, whereas posted in Miscellaneous might be seen more widely.

Not intended to be negative to a new member - welcome to our little group, you will find quite a few from Australia on here although not necessarily 'local' given the vast distances you cope with out there. Post any specific Fordson queries or problems and someone is bound to be able to help. Post pics of your treasured tractors and we will enjoy them.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jdaley »

I think your response is informative, as a matter of interest I could make the changes, but as a newcomer, there may be a bit of apprehension.
Back to the search function, you often get huge amounts of data presented and its hard to work through.
Hence my suggestion .
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi John

Fair comment although any thread drift (which is quite common here) would tend to accumulate irrelevant posts within the reformated topics and result in a similar effect when looking for something specific ;)

Brian and Oscar are the guys who shoulder the burden of keeping the forum available for us and will no doubt be along sometime to comment - Brian will actually be over in Aus later in the year for the Centenary, but where in relation to you I don't know.

An offer of assistance might well be welcome, I'm in no position to comment - a lot of members have been here for a long while, and may not be comfortable with changes to the format but its an idea worth exploring and don't worry about being new here and making suggestions, its one of the nicest, level headed bunch of people you could wish to meet.

I'm hitting the sack TTFN
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jdaley »

I am showing ignorance here, what centenary?
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Sorry, may have taken a few years for them to arrive in Aus, the centenary of the Fordson / Ford / New Holland tractor marque, Henry Ford exported the first Fordsons to help UK agriculture during WW1 in 1917 and they got better and better until the 'son' part of the name was dropped - many will disagree but I've put my asbestos undies on so am pretty safe :run:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jdaley »

I have looked around, I give up!
How do I set my opening page to show topics since my last visit please?
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Hi John

Go to the board index page
Above the block with the topics in and below the date / time there are options starting View Unanswered Posts, select the 3rd option View New Posts, go to that page and set it as the opening page in your web browse (I use Firefox and set it on the Favourites Toolbar) when I open the forum it shows me the new posts since last visit - may take a while for your device to realise you don't need to see all previous posts, and if it does is generally means I've done something to alter the keep looged in status.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jdaley »

Thanks, I have actually used that on my Hot Rod site, I did not recognise they were the same,der!!!
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I suffer from 'the harder you look the less you see', then when you least expect it, the blindingly obvious sneaks its head above the parapet.............

Having always run 'legacy' hard & software I tend to find the remaining DOS keystrokes quicker than mucking around with a mouse and cursor - feel sorry for those young enough to only have experienced windows :roll:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure