Footplate extension

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

Footplate extension

Post by jdaley »

For a man who races sidecars, I have always had a concern about stepping off my tractor in front of the rear wheels, yet road racing next to walls etc is no concern.
I have been trying to work out a way to extend the footplates so when I step off the Dexta, I am outside the line of the rear wheel.
Has anybody had the same issue, the tractor not the sidecar, or have you seen something along the line I speak of?
Thanks in anticipation
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

kiwimc
True Blue

Re: Footplate extension

Post by kiwimc »

Being annoyed with the way the front corner of the footplates always bends and ultimately cracks...
...I extended my support brackets another 4" by sacrificing another old set. I know it is not quite what you were asking, but if the front corner is firmer that may make things more secure for you.

Note that Fordson jack holding the works up :D . The second picture also shows the external clutch return assist spring that was used up till Oct 1961. I think it is in the right place, but can't find any other images to confirm. Not obvious in either picture is the subtle dogleg (original) that lets the clutch rod clear the footplate brackets.