How do the stabiliser bars work ?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
jdaley
Not Quite Blue Yet

How do the stabiliser bars work ?

Post by jdaley »

I just don't understand how these bars work, is there a trick?
John Daley
Bendigo, Australia

kiwimc
True Blue

Re: How do the stabiliser bars work ?

Post by kiwimc »

Which ones in particular?

I think the main aim is to stop implements flapping from side to side. If you look you will see the front mounting points line up with the lower link pins, so the magic of geometry lets them stabilise (triangulate) sideways, but not impede up and down movement. The check chains are lighter duty and principally to stop lift arms fouling on the tyres.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

As said above, the bars form a simple triangular linkage that limits lateral movement of the implement, eg to stop it fouling the tyres.

In my experience, chains work better than bars. Chains only work in tension, whereas bars are alternately loaded in tension and compression. On my tractor the push/pull of the bars wore out the forward fixing pins at the front end of the bars (or chains). Chains are more robust.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

I use two different stabilisers as I find the check chains are not sufficient to stop swaying and drift especially with my flail mower.
On the Dexta I have bars from the Cat.1 pin on the mudguard anchor bracket to the end of the lift arms. These attach to the implement Cat.1 pins.
On my TE20 I have turnbuckle stabilisers from the Cat.1 pin on the mudguard anchor bracket to the joint of the drop arm and the lift arm - the old fixing is removed and a new one, with an extended Cat.1 pin, is fitted (it also has a check chain retainer).
On the basis if it fits a TE20 it will fit the Dexta, I will convert her to this method because it has the advantage of remaining in-situ and does not need attaching to the implement.
http://www.silverfoxtractorspares.com/m ... 2766-p.asp
http://www.silverfoxtractorspares.com/m ... -774-p.asp

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

alang wrote:On my TE20 I have turnbuckle stabilisers from the Cat.1 pin on the mudguard anchor bracket to the joint of the drop arm and the lift arm - the old fixing is removed and a new one, with an extended Cat.1 pin, is fitted (it also has a check chain retainer).
On the basis if it fits a TE20 it will fit the Dexta, I will convert her to this method because it has the advantage of remaining in-situ and does not need attaching to the implement.
I can see this arrangement is more convenient as it does not need attaching to the implement, but it will put a sideways bending load on the lift arms.

With a heavy implement swaying from side to side, it could bend the lift arms sideways. Just something to be aware of, which I'm sure you are! Some folk weld a flange along the bottom of their lift arms for this reason.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Very good point and one I had not considered.
As I only use the TE20 with a transport box and use the Dexta for mowing, post ramming etc., I will perhaps leave the arrangements as they are.