Oil Pressure Switch

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Oil Pressure Switch

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hi All,

I recently thought I'd treat the Dexta to a proper pair of warning lights. I've got them all wired in and the charge light works fine, but the oil pressure light is doing nothing (doesn't come on ever). I've connected up to the existing oil pressure switch which I thought looked a bit odd and now guess isn't working.

Can I simply swap this out or is there something else going on here? If I told you my engine number 1420636 and date stamp L58 could anyone advise if I need 1/8 or 1/4 switch? And finally, if I replace the switch can I do it without draining the oil?

Thanks for you patience and any help.

Sam

PS: Please excuse the leak(s)
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Oil Pressure Switch

Post by shawnee »

No you do not I to drain oil to replace switch just shut engine off or you will be in an oily mess. I replaced mine with a gauge on a 45 degree angle so as to look over at it frequently.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Your engine block casting date is 5th Oct 1958, and your eng number which fits with my unofficial list of engine dates.

So not a Super D block, but quite an early standard block. I can't tell you which thread your pressure switch will have, suggest you just remove it and see.

You can easily test your oil warning light circuit by shorting the cable to the switch, to the engine block - the light should come on.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks both, very useful. I'll test the circuit after work today and see if I can get the switch out to measure it.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks again. Confirmed circuit all ok and measured switch. Replacement should be here soon so everything will be up to scratch... just hope the light goes out!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Well to close the loop, I've now got the pressure switch in and working. The warning light goes out at about 1600 revs so I'm going to try an oil change for 20w-50 and see if that makes a lot of difference...