Throttle parts needed

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Throttle parts needed

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hi all,

Can anyone help me find the following parts 9-17 inclusive. Mine is all very homemade, with the throttle operation reversed and no friction assembly. Thanks, Sam

New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Re: Throttle parts needed

Post by Tubal Cain »

Sam,

Item 9, throttle rod clips are available on the web. Items 10 to 17 are mounted on the bulkhead assembly on a Super Dexta. The arrangement that you have shown is for a pneumatically governed Dexta. Do you have the correct bulkhead?

Gerald

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hi Gerald,

I have a pneumaticaly governed Dexta. Not sure about the bulkhead, didn't realise they differed. I'll try to get a photo. The parts diagram looked like these could come apart and be fed into the bulkhead, do they not come apart?

Thanks, Sam

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

On a pneumatically governed Dexta, the friction assembly (items 10-17) is mounted on the air cleaner.

Some of those parts can be bought from Agriline, but your best bet is a breaker. Fordson Dexta 13 on ebay is a good place to start, he may be able to help you. You could also try Malcolm Hipperson or Bertie Dunlop.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Sam,

From the photo and words at the bottom of your post, I assumed that you had a Super Dexta with a mechanical governor. If your engine is pneumatically governed, the components which you have shown are mounted on the air cleaner. The spindle item 10 passes through the air cleaner bracket.

Gerald

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hello again Gerald,

Mostly 1964. The engine is, I believe, 1958. I must remember to get a photo to be clear.

Sam

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Ok here it is, the best I could manage without removing the bonnet.

From front underside

And looking down from above battery

Now that I've looked carefully, this doesn't look right at all. The bracket nearest the battery is welded to the bulkhead and the other bracket is bolted in place, neither form part of the air cleaner like I thought they were supposed to...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Definitely a lash-up as I think you suspected. Probably a Super D air cleaner, with no provision for the throttle.

Hope you get some proper bits sorted!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hi Ben,

Yes I'm just starting to understand the nuances of each type of air cleaner and throttle arrangement having scoured the internet for photos. What a nightmare! So I need a standard dexta air cleaner and the throttle linkages. Do I need to replace the bulkhead as well? I had hoped this would be a simple area of restoration but I suppose this is what you get when you have a Frankentractor! I'd love to put a super engine back in which would be the right thing to do but this tractor earns its keep and I can't afford the down time or the cash. You see/hear of so many dextas with engine swaps that I just assumed it was a straight swap regardless of type, I just thought the hand made throttle links were due to laziness and necessity at some point in the past rather than needing to bodge the replacement engine in. Humph

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

You may be able to drill a suitable hole (actually two holes) in the air cleaner to take the throttle cross shaft, but it may be simpler if you can find another standard air cleaner.

I don't think you need to replace the bulkhead.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Sam,

I have found a filter assembly minus the bowl (The bowl from the filter which you have should fit), plus the other bits that you require. You are welcome to them, if you are prepared to pay the postage PM me.

Gerald

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Gerald that's very good of you. I'll send you a note.