Draft and Position adjustment.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Draft and Position adjustment.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi, please can someone enlighten me on other methods to make adjustments to the draft and position linkage. I do have the DVD Mike which I followed for the draft setting but when it comes to the position setting I seem to run out of thread where the lock nut is screwed on. Even then my measurements fluctuate.
Thanks Mervyn. :?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Draft and Position adjustment.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Please ignore my previous post :? .

Why would my draft/position lever be so loose? In position control the lever does not remain horizontal but sags to at least 30' down. It is secure on the shaft so could I have missed something when I assembled the items in the lift top. I was thinking of removing the top again and stripping all the components out and reassembling, but before that I hope some bright ideas may come forward.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Hi Mervyn, only guessing, but if the lever moves the internal bits to the right place (can you feel it doing the 'work' ?), then it won't matter if it sags afterwards. Perhaps slop/wear in the linkages? Mine certainly has some.
John

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi John, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I am not able to check the operation as there is no oil in the transmission yet and also have not replaced the wheels either. Its been years since I last even started the tractor. I set the draft and position control to the best of my ability but was not happy with the play/travel of the select lever. I can't remember whether that slop was present when I removed the lift top some years ago :x. The tractor rear end is currently supported by two stands each one under the lower link support shaft(probably not the safest places when the engine is running). I feel a little relieved to hear that you also have some slop with your select lever. I have just noticed looking at the exploded view of the hydraulic lift ram cylinder and related parts, page 32 part number 31 is a seal on the selector arm, I wonder if that seal does not fit tight into the lift top housing. What I have noticed behind my lever is a make do plastic or nylon spacer. I think I should take the top off again and do a thorough check and report back later. Thanks again John for verifying the slop.
Mervyn.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Back again, the position control adjustment has got me baffled. Looking at page 32 of the Dexta parts list, item/fig. 44 called the Plate cam which sits on top of the arm assembly 43 is what has me baffled. When adjusting item 41 the plate cam also moves up or down depending on which way you are adj. should this be the case? I do have a spare assembly which does not do the same as the assembly in situ. Please guys forget the cricket England have already won the series :D.

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

I don't have the same parts listing you have, and my top cover is partially dismantled so sorry, I can't take photos...

but when you flick between position control & qualitrol, the position control cam also moves 90 degrees. You can see how it looks in Figs 6 to 9 in Section 8 - Hydraulic Power Lift of the service manual. Bear in mind the Figures are the right way up, sectioned through the tractor whereas we usually look at the power lift upside down (lying on its back).
The resistance you feel when you move the selector lever is the effort to compress the 2" position control spring. The cam is all (90 degrees) or nothing (so if you successfully engage position control then it won't matter if the lever sags).

Not sure if that is what you are asking. Anyone else want to join in here?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi John, thanks again for persevering with me and my problem. I have looked at the figures 6 - 9 and I see exactly what is meant to happen. In my case when I adjust the position control rod in/anti clockwise which compresses the spring the flat square/stamp nut rises up off the position control cam, and if you reverse the procedure the flat nut then lowers and rests on the position control cam. As a result I am unable to get the correct adjustment of 10mm. My question is, should that square flat nut move up or down when you attempt the adjustment? The flat nut is the nut straddling the thin pin and is under the lock nut. I hope the above makes sense. In conclusion my feelings are that if that flat nut remained flush with the cam I would be able to make the adjustment, if that is not the case I'm not sure where I may have gone wrong. :?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi John,
Just to let you know that I have managed to sought out my problem by fitting my spare "Position Control Unit" and the top is now back on the tractor. As I said earlier I cant test the operation yet but the settings are now all good. Thanks for your assistance.
Kind regards
Mervyn. :D