Minor Lift Pump oil leak.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Minor Lift Pump oil leak.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Has anyone experienced an oil leak from the fuel lift pump? It appears to be from the primer lever shaft. The leak does not appear to be from between the pump and injector pump housing. I had the fuel lift pump off this afternoon and smeared a thin layer of sealer on the gasket, but when I checked for a leak about an hour ago there was further oil that had leaked. Sorry I forgot to mention the tractor is a 1963 Super Dexta.

How does one circle the area in question on the image?

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Minor Lift Pump oil leak.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

It turns out that no other Dexta has ever had this problem? :?

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Im sure there is some kind of seal on the pump lever to stop oil leaking. I know we used to have problems on the old lift pumps of cars leaking through the weep hole and just used to replace them as there is no way of stripping them down apart from replacing the diaphrams on them. For all the price of a lift pump I would just replace it and that should cure your problem. Mayhill are selling on e-bay for £20.
Regards,
Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your response, I did just that and bought a replacement pump locally(Sparex). However it was a Massey Ferguson pump but identical to my original pump. All I had to do was unscrew the top and position it as per the faulty pump. I have not yet fitted it as I am busy painting my rims. was able to get some orange paint mixed up and today sprayed one of the rear wheel inner disc's, I'll try and spray the other disc tomorrow. I'm using a synthetic enamel paint, not pre pared to sacrifice my life with the 2k.

Kind regards
Mervyn

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Glad to hear you purchased a new lift pump. I far prefer using the Enamel paint as well. It gives a really good durable finish. You will need to post some pics of your painted rims. I just picked up my new rims from my wifes cousins workshop on Monday so have to get the centre discs rubbed down and then will be painting them the same as you. I have managed to paint a piece of card for you as well in the Fordson Empire Blue. My mate said he will easily post it to you so I will take it back to Angola with me when I return and give it to him. If you can email me your postal address to c.davidson44@yahoo.co.uk.

Regards
Charlie.