PTO Shaft Removal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

PTO Shaft Removal

Post by agroman »

Hi guys
My PTO shaft is showing some ware on the splines, so implement pto shaft is a bit loose therefore speeding up the ware!

What is involved with swapping the tractor shaft? I have just seen one for sale on Ebay.

Thanks

Martin
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

charlie63
True Blue

Re: PTO Shaft Removal

Post by charlie63 »

Martin,
Its a straight forward enough job. I would recommend you drain the back axle of oil unless you have a way to lift the back of the tractor sufficient height to stop the oil coming out the back when you remove the shaft. It would be a fine chance to replace your oil. Remove the four nuts holding the PTO shaft bearing retainer in place and the shaft complete with the housing pulls out. If you are buying a second hand one check the bearing and if any doubt replace it and also replace the oil seal as well before refitting that way you shouldnt have any oil leaks. Nothing worse than refitting everything and then find the oil seal is leaking.
Regards
Charlie.

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Thanks Charlie
Easy job then. I changed the seal before when I did a major renovation 3 years ago, but I can't remember taking the shaft out, which I must have done. Having recently taken the to off, I could see the oil is still nice and clean, but what is the recommended interval for changing it? I could just run the back end up on some axle stands, that should minimise oil loss.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Martin,
It is a straight forward and easy job.If you have axle stands to set up the backend of the tractor that should minimise oil loss. The manual recommends the back end oil to be replaced every 12 months and it holds 34 pints ( 19.5 litres ) for a standard tractor without any aux hydraulic equipment.

Regards
Charlie.

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Thanks Charlie

I won shaft on Ebay - cost £46 inc p&p.

Not sure whether to fit now or just to keep in on the shelf as a spare.