Super Dexta help

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Super Dexta help

Post by naildriver »

I have a good shape 1965 Fordson Super Dexta, Been years since I spents lots of time here. I rebuilt everything from the ground up about 12 years ago. 2 years ago, it did something while working a food plot, half running but I got it trailered. It has not cranked since. Been sitting. I assumed it was the fuel injector pump so I had it rebuilt and I put it back on, assuming I correctly timed it? Today I pulled the injectors again and noticed the holes in the head were no longer round as if they were burning out on one side, I think as sign of losing compression by the injectors. I cleaned them out and installed new copper washers and pulled it off. It crank and ran.... but has no power. It's blowing much black smoke, unburnt fuel, I assume. I have bypassed the oil bath filter so it's not lack of air. The motor acts as if it's under a load, like I'm pulling a dbl turn plow, to deep. Diesels are simple, it must be a valve issue. The case vent hose has always "breathed" a little smoke. Now it's not, however the air intake seems to be blowing and sucking. Maybe this is normal? It will suck your hand to it, but its seems to be blowing as well. I hate to pull the head for exploritory surgery. Any ideas on what to check? I wonder.... 15 years ago, it spun a main bearing and was acting similar, and eventually locked up. I wonder if this is happening now? I assume the fuel is good after 2 years?

naildriver
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta help

Post by naildriver »

Oil pressure and temps are normal although I have not put it under load. It would stall if I did.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

I started to check compression but I don't have the proper adapters to fit in place of the injector. My kit is mostly for spark plugs. I have a harbor freight nearby, their kit may have what I need. I thought about getting it running and cracking the injector lines, one by one to see if I have a bad cylinder not firing, listening for no change in rpm. I need to pull the valve cover and see if anything looks wrong with the valve operation??????

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

i had something similar happen , mine started to run rough an then black smoke , had built bottom end
a few years before this and done head myself , after a lot of usual, checking timeing a lot and testing an soul searching
everything including injectors ect , decided either pump or head and decided to try the head first, turned out by luck
to be the right call , head off and reco no bother since touch wood, although you had head done , :scratchhead
good luck anyway

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you have had the pump off are you sure you timed it to the correct mark on the pump drive gear? There are two close together.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

How hard would it be to dbl check. I used my manual to time it. I would hope that I was capable of following directions. However, if not much trouble, I should recheck.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just take the two screws out of the side cover then open the timing cover on the bell housing. Set to the required timing mark and then check the mark on the gear lines up with the pointer. Same for both pneumatic and mechanical governors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

It's been over a year since I installed the rebuilt injector pump. Been sitting ever since. I seem to recall something..... I can't remember if I had a screw stripping out or what. I just remember not wanting to do it again, I also recall it being tough because I did not remove the front end. I may have to use a mirror... or remove the front?

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

Hello Naildriver // have you a update on your Dexta? // Hope that your problem is solved and we would like to hear about the solution // Best Regards brownsmule in Mooresville NC