PTO Vibration

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

PTO Vibration

Post by charlie63 »

When I first got my tractor the PTO was tested for operation and found to be working. Due to the condition of the tractor is wasnt run for long only to check for operation. Whilst I had the hydraulic top off for refurbishment everything was checked inside the casing and nothing untoward was found. The clutch pedal/PTO selector shaft was badly worn and was replaced. When it was removed the PTO selector fork was found to be badly damaged and half of it missing. It looks like it had been rubbing on something as well but all I could see that it comes in contact with is the PTO selector sleeve which in operation this would obviously spin.See Pics attached. No metallic parts were found inside the casing. Having replaced the selector fork with a good one I now find that when the PTO is in operation there is a lot of vibration through the selector handle. No vibration when it is not in operation. Is this normal?? Is there anything in the casing that the selector fork can come in contact with when the PTO is in operation apart from the PTO selector sleeve. Im not wanting to wear the selector fork. Any advice is appreciated.

charlie63
True Blue

Re: PTO Vibration

Post by charlie63 »

Well I bit the bullet today as this PTO vibration niggled me all last night and drained the rear axle of oil and removed the PTO lever and selector fork assembly to inspect it. The only thing that I could see was slight burring at the raised pad areas of the for where it would sit in the selector shaft. When it was inserted back in to the selector shaft it felt tight so this would probably account for the vibration as it was spinning when PTO was in operation. All the raised pad areas were dressed up and the fork was checked for freeness in the selector sleeve. All was built up and axle refilled with oil. PTO was checked for operation and all was fine, no vibrations or any untoward noises. Need to learn to take a bit more time and not be in so much of a hurry when I am building things up. :D :D