Firewood cutting season

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Firewood cutting season

Post by kiwiland dexta »

I guess a large proportion of the forum is busy burning their firewood but over here in dry midsummer I have had the Dexta working for a living. Pulled a tree that blew over last winter but was hung up (it was caught up on the split tree top left in pic) with a snig chain then hauled the cut rounds out to home. Hope you folk in mid Winter like the dry hills and low stream behind!
Happy New Year!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

basewindow
True Blue

Re: Firewood cutting season

Post by basewindow »

Yep I'm hearing you from over the ditch here in Oz.

My girl has been out working doing some similar work hauling a few logs around to be cut up.

Im a bit lucky. Forestry company was doing some logging over at the pine plantation not too far away and they had to clear an area for operations which involved them knocking down some native wattles. Unfortunately for them they are not allowed to take any natives they remove so they actually end up burning them with all the waste eventually. Luckily for me i 'FOUND' them, neatly stacked, stripped and debarked waiting to be hauled away.
Result. Over 12 months worth of wood is now cut and neatly stacked in the wood shed. It doesnt happen too often.
Having said that i actually had to light the fire tonight. Not cold, about 14, but enough to need something.

Good luck with that firewood and to all those burning it to keep warm in the northern hemisphere.
62 Super Dexta.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Firewood cutting season

Post by Jerry Coles »

I mainly use my Dexta for log hauling, Cutting with my Ferg$%^& Cordwoodsaw and then with my Hydraulic logsplitter. All in all a useful size and tool combination to keep SWMBO happy. Mainly Alder from the banks of the brook adjoining my 1 1/2 acres but last year was allowed to take away three big Beech trees so some good wood there. The Alder dries easily but burns quite fast so I follow with the denser Beech to give a good fire all evening.

The comment about the low stream, the brook running down the side of my field does fill up after a big rainstorm but it flows away rapidly and today was as low as it is in summer. That is due to everyone managing their watercourses properly. The modern method of hedging by flailing leaves lots of debris to clog the drains which never seem to get cleared. An old winter time job was hedging and ditching, the latter now being forgotten.
Have a happy asnd SAFE New Year
Cheers
Jerry
Somerset
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's