Hello and a few queries

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Sam dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hello and a few queries

Post by Sam dexta »

Hi all,
I'm new on here. We are in east anglia. I have a super dexta which I'm still learning about.
There's a few things I'd like to know if anyone is able to provide pointers;
- using a flail mower, firstly it looks like really i should have a ratchet clutch in line, but there's a few sizes (and adapters) about. am I measuring the outer diameter? Not got another to compare to.
- engaging PTO was fine the first time, and since then it won't go in (grinding / lack of clutch action?). there is a second hole I'll move pedal link to, and a fair bit of play here and there, but I'm interested if this may be indicative of other issues before i just go ahead and tinker about.
- PTO goes into drive with engine off, then starts up fine on starter. Once it hits moderate loading the PTO is thinking about pushing itself out of drive. Adjustment or issue? If I dip the clutch, forward motion stops, PTO does not. This is live drive with clutch pedal set to "non PTO use hole" isn't it? no badge on the front, but 2 holes on clutch rod; I'll be moving it but would like to confirm I am unlikely to be causing damage.
- gearbox selector wore down and was inop, so i took it out and welded size back on works fine now. but it looks like top plate was not sealed; plenty of moisture in gearbox. What oil and how much should I be putting in (it also serves rear axle and hydraulics?) I have old lorries and am wary of using ep80/90 as it reacts badly with phospur-bronze synchromeshes as found on older gearboxes. I am guessing there's no synchros in a dexta but maybe other parts that require other oils? Is it a standard hydraulic oil as i'd put in the digger?
- I have a front loader but am unlikely to put it all back on there. I'd like to therefore add a 2 way spool block so i have a few outs at the rear. Anything aside from just bolt it all on and see what happens? (side shift on flail, maybe other things later).

I have yet to convince my wife to drive it. The brakes sometimes bind a touch but maybe will sort themselves with time. The engine breathes more than I'd like and on starting pops a bit out of time (sticky valve stems / old oil?) but settles down after 10 seconds or so. Three point arms lift nicely and stay up. Been using a ratchet strap as a top link but new one in post so should find out if the auto levelling bit behind the seat works. Lovely little thing, and it weighs nothing behind the landy.

I know that's a heap of questions al in one go. If anyone replies to any of it that'd be great.

Happy tractoring!

Sam

blackbob
True Blue

Re: Hello and a few queries

Post by blackbob »

Hello and welcome to the forum, it's been a bit quiet recently, but we aren't all in hibernation..

Ok. I'll try to answer some of your questions..

Your pto shaft is a standard size, 1 & 3/8" 6-spline. The only tractors which don't use this are grey Fergies which had smaller, and bigger tractors (generally over 100hp) which can use a 21-spline shaft run at 1000rpm, to transmit more power. I agree, it sounds like you need to try your clutch-pedal linkage into that other hole, it will make the pedal higher and maybe more uncomfortable to use, but it will let you disengage the pto clutch. I really don't think you need any form of over-run clutch in the pto for a mower, if the live-drive clutch is working properly.

Don't use EP90 in your gearbox, it'll be too thick for the hydraulics, and I wouldn't use hydraulic oil either. Probably, I would get a couple of 20-litre drums of universal oil and that will be fine for the back-end and the engine too, it's 15W-40 or something like that There used to be 'universal' and 'super universal', the difference (apart from the price) being extra additives for tractors with oil-immersed brakes, which we Fordsonists don't need; I think it may all be 'super' nowadays.
It is possible to get different oils for tractor transmissions, engines and also for turbocharged engines, but using universal saves having a lot of half-empty drums lying around.

Wives seem to be unnecessarily fussy about things like functioning brakes, and power-steering, and synchromesh, and being able to hop on and off a tractor in a dignified manner. Good luck... :lol:
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

Sam,
Welcome! You'll find just about anything you want to know here. Try searching posts with the search topics box at the top left side of the Dexta forum.
Also the first line under Topics is "Stefans Workshop Manual"
Open this up and you will find a complete service manual for the Dexta. Which basically covers everything on the Super Dexta also.
The main difference between the two is only engine size.
Lots of good people here willing to help each other out with their problems and questions.
Bill

Sam dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sam dexta »

Thank you, that all sounds good n sensible, I appreciate the response. Happy new year