Website closing

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Website closing

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Sad news, and I for one would like to thank those who have maintained it all these years, allowing me to rejuvenate and enjoy a true classic machine and learn so much! My father worked for some years at Brooksby Agricultural College in Leicestershire when I was a kid, before we came to NZ, and when I told him I had bought a Dexta he told me they had bought one for the beef unit back when they were being made. Nice bit of remembrance for me and I think of him every time I start it up and drive down the paddocks looking at the shiny tin plate green machines in the vineyards around me and think "what will those look like in 56 years time?"

I am no mechanic but I have learned some things and collected quite a bit of literature (manuals, spare parts lists etc) and am happy to share my email address, 2terraces@gmail.com if anyone is stuck for something.

Perhaps before the site closes others of you would be willing to share contact details and your expertise/resources so we can in some way continue the purpose of this forum.

Thanks again Oscar, Brian and everyone else here.

Derek Johnson.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Re: Website closing

Post by MikesDexta »

Here here!!

I also hope that a new forum can rise out of the ashes of this splendid fountain of knowledge. At the very least I hope the valuable and still usable subjects can be moved into an accessible library.

Thanks to all who have put so much work into this forum for us Fordson newbies.

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Very sad to hear. This website has been almost soley responsible for getting my Super back in working form. Big thanks to all who contributed their time and knowledge and passion. The successful restoration of my Dexta has given me a passion and hobby for restoring old machinery. I have multiple old implements that have been bought back from the depths of neglect and also several stationary engines. I have found this process both cathartic and enjoyable and hope to continue with it into the future. Sites like this are an invaluable resource for a glimpse into the past and history and i hope this valuable knowledge will not be lost to future generations.
62 Super Dexta.

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skipdow »

noooooooooo, I just bought two more petrol dexta's that need to be fixed up.
I may not have posted a lot but always relied on this site for regular information.
PLEASE let me know if you find a new home, even a subscription site would be worth all the info you have here.
Or if its possible to archive everything so it can be searched for information needed.
I can whole heartedly state that this site is responsible for keeping my dexta running all these years and it will be sorely missed.
Thank you for all that you guys have done to keep this site up as long as you have.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Yes!! the site continues - my sincere thanks to Henk and Mathias for picking up the mantle, this is great news!
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

:clap:
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

Ilmari H.
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ilmari H. »

MikesDexta wrote:Yes!! the site continues - my sincere thanks to Henk and Mathias for picking up the mantle, this is great news!
Absolutely! Sounds like a perfect solution for now. Please remember that many users of these pages only read and seek information and can`t or are too shy to participate in the discussions because of language barriers. There is still a vast dark matter out there formed from unregistered readers.
Maybe you could get some of these people to register and even to donate some money in form of membershipfee to finance a some kind of picture preservation on these pages. In many topics pictures are dissappeared. Preserved pictures make any forum usable in far future and a sound well working forum would add up to activation of writers. Some well selected advertisers could also help in financing the future of these pages.
Super Dexta -62, Super 4 -64, Super 6 -64, Ford 5600 -79, Ford D Series 6,22

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Ilmari H. wrote:
MikesDexta wrote:Yes!! the site continues - my sincere thanks to Henk and Mathias for picking up the mantle, this is great news!
Absolutely! Sounds like a perfect solution for now. Please remember that many users of these pages only read and seek information and can`t or are too shy to participate in the discussions because of language barriers. There is still a vast dark matter out there formed from unregistered readers.
Maybe you could get some of these people to register and even to donate some money in form of membershipfee to finance a some kind of picture preservation on these pages. In many topics pictures are dissappeared. Preserved pictures make any forum usable in far future and a sound well working forum would add up to activation of writers. Some well selected advertisers could also help in financing the future of these pages.
Thanks for everything so far. Currently we are not looking for any financial help. The best help you all can do is by posting on the board and keep discussions alive. So if someone has an issue with his tractor, try to help him/her out. And if you're using your tractor for a job, take the time to take some pictures and put it on here. I'm currently using http://postimages.org/ for posting pictures, although they messed up 1 time so far. I was wondering if it's possible to use google drive or something to post pictures.

I did hook up the fertilizer today to do some work with the major
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Very many thanks to Henk and Mathias for picking up the mantle, this is great news indeed!

There is far too much info here to lose.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Excellent that the web site continues and hearty thank to those who are making it happen.

While I never support subscription increases at clubs just because some or most users can easily afford it, not all can. However I would be happy to pay yearly subscription or donation to this site if it helped to keep the site and if it would be possible to host pictures. Photo bucket have let us down, plus it was fiddly to use, and I'm not confident that any of the freebees are going to be any more reliable. Just a thought, if organising hosting is more work for the administrators then I apologise for suggesting it.

Long may the site continue.

Regards

Ian

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

First time I have logged in for a while, I have been renovating a Dexta for the best part of a decade and I have now bit the bullet and will definitely get it on it's wheels next year.

I dropped the main casting into the barn from the workshop above last night to get it stripped and painted, so this morning I decided to log into the forum to catch up and saw the forum closing notice :shock:

Much kudos to Henk and Mathias for continuing the good work.

I shall try to be a better forum member and post a bit more regularly.

Cheers
Andy

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

:beer: Glad you're going to help us out on this section.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Brilliant news that the forum can be saved, as has been said, there is decades worth of knowledge that can be found on here which helps novices (like me).

I would imagine that looking after a forum like this is not an easy task and takes up alot of time, so fair play to you both - and thank you! :D :D :D
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!