Brake linkage and Swinging drawbar question

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ianpdexta
True Blue

Brake linkage and Swinging drawbar question

Post by ianpdexta »

I wish to fit the swinging draw bar which had been removed and was supplied loose when I bought my 1963 Super Dexta. I believe that I have the two pieces that bolt under the tractor, the long draw bar, the rear carrier with multiple holes which allows the bar to swing to one side and all the pins.

The problem is that where the coffin shaped piece fits under the diff housing at the rear, there is already a bracket which carries the brake linkage from one side to the other, this is using two of the bolts holes need for the draw bar. Does the brake bracket need to come off, bolt coffin plate on, and then brake bracket go back on top (actually below) using longer bolts?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

sky blue
True Blue

Re: Brake linkage and Swinging drawbar question

Post by sky blue »

Thats the way i fitted mine,though it was a few years back now,
i think you will need the longer bolts, be sure the coffin plate as you call it goes tight
to bottom of tractor and then the brake linkage.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks skyblue.
:D

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I fitted the drawbar parts as per above method at the weekend. A questions came up.

When removing the two rear most bolts, oil came out through the bolt holes. I was concerned that someone might have put a bolt in that was too long and burst the inside of a blind hole. If so there maybe two lumps of cast iron lying in the bottom of the back axle. Which could be very bad if it got up into the bevel gears! Or are these two holes meant to go right through?

It seems a bit strange if they are as they don't make an oil tight seal so the area is always oily.

I would post pictures but photo bucket are out and I'm not sure who to trust now?

Regards

Ian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Are you talking about the bolts where the chains attach next to the PTO shaft?

If so mine leak oil as well when you remove them (I think only two, cant remember its been a while). I dont know if its 'normal' though, but when they are tightened up they dont leak.

Imageimage uploading
62 Super Dexta.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

it maybe that the bolts have been over tightened or and have cracked or damaged
the bottom casing some way for oil to leak out through the holes, if this is the case
and it has been this long without damaging anything iwould just put bolts back in
untill you get time infuture to drian oil and investigate in more detail, the top lift
cover would need to come off to do this , abig enough job if you havent done it before
although you would be able to check filters an lift ect at the same time ,,another one of the plesures
of owning an older tractor,

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

No it's not the check chain bolts, it's the 5/8 UNC bolts which are underneath, as it happens, I also removed my check chain bolts and there was no leakage.

I will have a look in the top cover at some point it's some way down my list just at the moment as the hydraulics and back axle seem work ok.

Regards

Ian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Hmmm, ok. Going to have to go out and have a look now. Thought it was the check bolts but maybe it wasnt. There were definitely some bolts that did leak oil when i was changing stuff back there. I'll check on the weekend.
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Had a look today. There are 4 bolt that hold the 'boomerang' shaped brackets for the check chains to bolt onto. Im sure two of these leak oil when you remove them, not sure which but i thought it was the top two on either side. Again, not sure if this is normal but when tightened sufficiently they dont leak. Hope that helps.
Cam.
62 Super Dexta.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I took my check chain 'boomerangs' off, no oil came out. I suspect that non of these holes should let oil out but people have tightened over long bolts in at some point and have burst the blind hole through.

My 5/8" UNC bolts underneath are leaking even when done up tight (there not too long now) I think I will have to remove two of them and wind them with PTFE tape before putting them back as there is always a drip on my nicely painted swinging draw bar hanger.

Regards

Ian

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

i dont know if the ptfe tape will hold oil , it will do for a while
might be better to use some type of sealant for oil , ptfe is really for water plumbers stuff
and air lines ect :)