orignal pins and locking clips

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Does anyone have any idea what the orignal locking clips where on the back linkage of the dexta,all the old pins seem to have small holes that wouldnt take the morden clips, it dosent make it clear in the parts which clips were used. Many thanks GERRY

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

Regards Stefan

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerry

A bit vague. Are you perhaps referring to what is called the linch pins that are used to secure the impliment attached to the hydraulic lift arms? The pin with the steel ring that is flipped over to secure. If i'm on the right track are you aware that there are two types of pins, the category 1 and category 2. The cat 1 used on the Dextas' and the cat 2 on the bigger tractors like the Majors'.

Kind regards
Mervyn

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanks for your replies, there are different linch pins and locking clips as you know ; the flip over ring is the modern form of locking clip and most of the linch pins have a hole to suit these type. the orignal hole in the linch pin is very small and would not take the modren flip over ring. . stefan,s split pin type would fit and 40/50 years ago would make sence as i dont think the others would be around then, there is also a R /clip/ pin type .iwas wondering if these would have been used also.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerry

I'm very interested in your inquiry, but am still not quite sure where these pins are used that you are refering to. Can you please give us some more clarity on there usage.

Regards
Mervyn

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi Mervyn, the linch pins i mean are the ones that go through the hyd arms to the linkage arms and also the rocker to spring under the seat, the holes in these orignal linch pins are very small and will not take the [ flip over ring type ] some of these might have been changed over the years to take the flip over ring , hence my ?,my own dexta has a mixture of both types , i would like to know which are the proper ones. the split pinis the most likely as these can fit as Stefan a has shown ,pitty i cant post phots it would be abig help GERRY

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Gerry,

A Linch Pin is the pin with the flip over ring. And yes, that is what was used originally for the securing the pins used for 3PL and around that area. Linch Pins come in many sizes. I think I have a box full of 3/16" ones in my shed. What size holes are in your Pins???

The R style pins as you described were used in a couple of places on the Dexta according to the parts book, but not where your referring to. So were the cotter pins that Stefan showed, but I'm sure he misunderstood where you meant. They are only used where items are of semi-permanent fixing.

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

In those places Stefan's cotter pin is exactly right. No "R" clips were used in those pins.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

MY mistake meanderer with calling the[ bolt ] a lynchpin ,I have also called the cotter pin a split pin :oops: , Brian and Stefan you agree the cotter pin was used for the linkage, the smallest lynch pin ican get does not fit the holes on the bolts for hyd/linkage.I think there was a nail in one of them. GERRY

Stefan
True Blue

Post by Stefan »

To use nails instead of pins is very common to the farmers. :lol:

When I worked as a mechanic for farm equipments I saw them on tractors and implements nearly every day. I was wondering why they have money for nails but not for good pins. :lol:

We used to call the nails "farmers pins" :lol: :lol:

And gardeners always use to have a piece of metal wire at hand to fix all the troubles with their equipments like locking the emergency stop switch on lawn mowers. :lol:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Guys call me stupid if you like( if the hat fits I will wear it) but I still can't figure out what and where this area is that is been discussed. Is it possible to quote the real technical names for the various parts that are been discussed. :?

Mervyn

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Mervyn, ill try and explian this,it is the clevis pins that go through the knuckles to level box to hyd/arms on one side and knuckle ofdrop arm to hyd/arm on other side,sorry for the confussion must learn how to post photos .Hope this helps GERRY

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Gerry

Thanks for been patient with me. I see what you mean now, I was way off line. I looked up in my parts download copy and found exactly what you were referring too.

On the drawing part number 23 is the clevis pin and number 24 is the cotter pin 1/8" x 1". It is strange how items have different names in other countries. I know the item that Stefan posted as a split pin. The cotter pin that I am aware of is a solid piece of steel bar sometimes taped at one end.

Don't feel alone with the photo transfer issue, I have given up on that, especially photo bucket. :x

Anyway I'm glad that problem has been sorted out. :D

Regards
Mervyn