Pulling out stock fence posts

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MikesDexta
True Blue

Pulling out stock fence posts

Post by MikesDexta »

I've got a number of 4" stakes and 6" strainers to take out of a sheep handling system I made last year as I want to modify it. They were thumped in by a contractor with a top end post knocker so are in solid; he can't come and pull them out as he is too busy. I've been told that my Dexta will pull them out using the 3 point linkage, a drawbar and a chain. I've seen it done with a TE20 on Youtube. Has anyone ever done this?
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Pulling out stock fence posts

Post by skipdow »

I have done it with my dexta. The hardest part is getting a good grip with the chain in the limited distance of lift. It helps if you can wiggle the posts side to side a bit to loosen them.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Done it with a Major Mike so don't see why not with a Dexta, it depends on the bight in the chain getting a bite on the post before all the vertical lift is used up, of you use a D or C shackle and make a slipping noose the post will either come up a bit or snap. A noose in a steel rope may be better but it is not so easy to moor the other end without slippage or lost distance while tightening.

If you have a decent baulk of timber or say a bit of 4" - 6" I beam you could quickly fabricate a crane arm which would give more lift distance available but at the cost of less available force - a couple of cast Major wheels on the tombstone would help control any bucking bronco tricks the Dexta might try on you.

The other way would be to make an L shaped frame, fix the end of the horizontal bit to the post and hitch the drawbar to the top of the vertical bit, have a plank or something to spread the force of the angle it pivots on so it doesn't just dig into the ground, as you pull on the vertical the horizontal should rise bringing the post with it, I've pulled out some sizeable birch trees roots and all over the years using one about six foot on both arms / legs and IIRC about 8" I beam with some hefty box section as diagonal braces.

HTH & good luck
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks both, I will first try the drawbar and chain but I'm not confident it will work on the 6 inch strainers as they are in so solid they don't move if I apply all my far too much weight on them so I am expecting the Dexta to buck. If so I will try Rick's suggestion. Weather permitting I will do this tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed