Oil leak from hydraulic pressure relief valve area

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dewaltdisney
True Blue

Oil leak from hydraulic pressure relief valve area

Post by dewaltdisney »

Hi all, more problems. I checked my tractor this morning and there was a pool of oil under it. I did notice a bit of oil on the right footplate when I finished mowing on Tuesday, which I thought I might have splodged when I topped up the oil direct into the case when I replaced the lift cover gasket on Sunday, I wonder if I overfilled it and this is how the system drains itself? It seems to be dripping somewhere around the bottom of the hydraulic pump pressure relief valve cover but I cannot pinpoint where? Can someone please give me an idea where to start sorting this please?

Many thanks

DWD

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Oil leak from hydraulic pressure relief valve area

Post by charlie63 »

DWD,
Im not trying to teach you how to suck eggs here but how much oil did you add to the rear axle?
The axle takes around 32 pints of oil and in new money that equates to 18 litres. The correct level is found by removing the level plug with the square head situated just in front of the P.T.O. selector. The tractor must be sitting on the level to check.
There is a service port on the hydraulic pump body where the relief valve is for attaching a pressure gauge to which sits just above the footplate but unsure if this has a sealing washer on it. The relief valve itself has a sealing washer but this sits below the footplate if I remember correctly.Could it be this that is leaking or you may have a leak from one of the sealing o-rings on the service control plate. The only real way of checking to see where it is coming from is to clean and dry it all off and run the tractor.

Regards
Charlie.

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Thanks for the guidance Charlie, It is possible that I overfilled it I just covered the tops of the shafts in oil as (what I think is the level plug) was seized and I was not sure which one it was. What you say sounds perfectly feasible so I think my next step is taking off the footplate and cleaning it up to spot the leak.The tub I put under the drip had around a litre in it this morning but I could not see any more drips while I watched. I will come back when I have got the footplate off but it is a bit hard for me with my weak arm and leg which restricts me.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

DWD

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Update, I spent ages this morning getting the footplate off and now it is clear I can see it is the footplate that has rubbed a hole in the PRV cover. There is a small hole where it is is dripping away. No one make these covers as a spare, I suppose that is true of all castings. A friend has said that JB Weld will probably do a repair but\I am not sure of the pressure or heat and which JB Weld to use. Or would it be better to take it off and get it welded properly? Any advice greatly received

DWD

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

DWD,
Since you are only getting a drip it cant be under any pressure where the hole is or it hasnt rubbed all the way through which is a good thing. The cheapest and easiest option is to use liquid metal as the repair can be carried out with the pump in place. You would be better draining down the back end oil to get the oil below the level of the leak.
I have used liquid metal a few times before to carry out repairs and it works well. Follow the instructions properly and you shouldnt have a problem. The key is to ensure everything is spotlessly clean. Here is a link for liquid metal.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPOXY-STEEL- ... OSw5cNYk7L~

Fordsondexta13 who is in Wales has a second hand hydraulic pump for sale on E-bay at £100 if you want to go down that road.

Regards
Charlie.

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Great, thanks for that Charlie,

Assuming it was the same whilst the tractor was mowing Monday and Tuesday it did not spurt, but of course I was not looking. There was oil on the footplate and of course quite a lot on the shed floor after a couple of days. I guess I could start up and see what happens? That liquid metal looks good. I intend to use the wire bush on my drill to clean off the paint and some carburettor cleaner I have as a final cleaner if this would be the way to go?. If all else fails the one for sale might be an option.

Thank you for your help,

Cheers

DWD

dewaltdisney
True Blue

Post by dewaltdisney »

Follow up on this leak.

I finally got around to sorting this problem. On close inspection it appeared that there may have been some damage there in the past and it had been filled with something that finally gave way. I cleaned it all back and saw there was a small hole which allowed the oil to leak. I took the big nut off the PRV, the residual oil in the pump drained away and then I cleaned it thoroughly with the carb cleaner spray. I used Araldite liquid metal epoxy which went off really hard. I left it 24 hours and filled it back up with oil. Fingers crossed I started up and all was fine. Thanks for the suggestion Charlie 63 :beer:

I cut four acres of grass with no issues and the tractor ran like a dream. Ifeel sad that i have to sell it but I am sure someone will be happy with it.

DWD