Hydraulic piston stuck

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Wingnut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic piston stuck

Post by Wingnut »

Hello any ideas on how to get my stuck piston out of the hydraulic lift cylinder please ps it’s right at the bottom thanks

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Hydraulic piston stuck

Post by charlie63 »

Is the piston seized in the bore with sitting for a long time without movement or is it that you want to just remove the piston to replace the lip seal??
If it is the latter I used compressed air to remove it as the manual says. You apply air pressure through the safety valve hole and hold your thumb over the hole next to it. Dont apply too much pressure or the piston will fly out the bore.

Wingnut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wingnut »

Thanks Charlie it was stuck as it’s been sitting in a shed for over a year but good news I managed to get it out this morning I tried the airline trick but that didn’t work as it was stuck solid but I put a small screwdriver in the hole and twisted it and the piston moved then the airline trick worked

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Glad to hear you managed to get your piston removed.
I found the bore of mine was quite badly scored and used a fine hone to hone it to clean it up. I fitted a new piston seal and now its all back together and set it up as per the workshop manual and Brians instructions on his posting on the forum it works as it should.

Regards
Charlie.

Wingnut
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wingnut »

Hi got mine cleaned up okay lots of flakes of rust was holding it in now all I’ve got to do is sort out the lift lever shaft and pin and put it all back together