Petrol dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Stuss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Petrol dexta

Post by Stuss »

Hi everyone. A few questions regarding my petrol dexta thought was going to be an easy restore .
Fitted a Agriline headgasket and ended up with water in oil, removed head to find the gasket stud holes bigger than the old gasket . We can push gasket hard one way and it covers the water jacket holes but pulled back gasket on edge of the w/j hole , gasket is 2mm movement on the studs. Might have to get a gasket made , anyone had this problem ?
The 2 stage clutch is it a Dexta or a ferguson or are they the same ?
What have other fellows done with the ring gear, can we get another or press this one off and rotate it ?
I realise it’s the standard industrial motor as fitted into the 701 hay balers ,
Any would be appreciated

Stuss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Petrol dexta

Post by Stuss »

No one can help ? Okay. Getting ring gear made if anyone’s interested

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Stuss wrote:No one can help ? Okay. Getting ring gear made if anyone’s interested
Stuss, Agriline sells these ring gears as replacement. That will be cheaper than to have one made.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Stuss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Stuss »

Petrol Dexta is a diferent ringear 155 teeth , Brian Dye done a lot of reaserch into this and come up blank , I’m looking at getting one made

skipdow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skipdow »

I reused my head gasket since it was copper. You can anneal it by heating it up with a propane torch and dropping it on a colder sheet of steel. basically it deforms the gasket so it can crush again when torqued. Its common practice on old high performance engines so they can do engine work often without needing new gaskets all the time. Did that to mine last year and so far no oil in water and no water in oil and has great compression. I did however put a very thin coat of high temp silicone on the gasket around the water ports.