Hydraulic lift height

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
blastcleaner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic lift height

Post by blastcleaner »

There is lots of information on adjustment of the hydraulics, but I am reluctant to go in there without good reason..... if it aint broke, dont fix it !

My 62 standard Dexta hydraulics seem to do all I want with one problem. They dont lift high enough. If I unbolt the outside of the quadrant and operate the control outside the quadrant I can get the arms to lift nearly 2 inches higher before they get to the top and stop. Magnify that to the end of the lift arms and thats about 6 inches more lift of the impliment.

Any suggestions on a cure before I pull it all to pieces? One solution would be to move the quadrant anti clockwise about 20 degrees by a bit of cut and shut, but thats not the right way.

If it is just an adjustment problem then I will 'go in' , but hopefully someone will have had the problem before and know the fix.

Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The lift is out of adjustment. The quadrant is a symptom not the problem. It is easier to take the top off and set it than it would be to mess around with the quadrant.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blastcleaner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic lift height

Post by blastcleaner »

Thanks Brian, that is conclusive. ' I'm going in'.

While I am in there, as things are at present, if I have a pick-up hitch on (it came from a Fergy TE20), I have to let the arms down a bit to get the auxillary service to work the tipping trailer.

This is not ideal because it lowers the hook in the trailer eye so as the trailer load shifts the trailer can jump off the hook. The only solution is to lock the pickup hitch in the up position by inserting a pin under axle through the hitch as it is designed for (can interchange with a drawbar hitch) but you lose the flexibility of dropping the trailer quickly.

Any ideas please why the aux service wont work in the arms up position, or is it a pressure relieving issue and designed that way.

James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is the way the lift works. Internally there is a "Knock off pin" that moves the lift into neutral when the lift reaches its full height. This unloads the pump so that the oil does not overheat. By dropping the lift 1/2" you release the "knock off pin" and allow the lift to work again. As you divert the oil to aux. services the piston does not move and the lift works.

The Fergy PUH should have links that go to the lift arms and a locking bar that comes up to the rear axle, fitting just below the top link through special lugs on the casting. This has a lever that locks the hitch in the raised position. This link could be modified to fit a Dexta.

If you do not have some lock, the whole weight and force of your load is being carried on the ram cylinder and the forces generated by your trailer when traveling loaded over rough ground could massivly exceed the design capabilities of the lift.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

blastcleaner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by blastcleaner »

Thanks yet again Brian, I will get too and fix it.

Regards, James

blastcleaner
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulic lift height - continued

Post by blastcleaner »

To continue...

Having had to take the top cover off to the adjust the hydraulics as Brian suggested, I was met by clay coloured custard! It appears that one of the rear axle casings was not machined perfectly and dust and water had got in over many years where the gasket was not pinched. It was a real solid sludge on the bottom of the casing.

After draining I flushed the casing and diff housing with diesel, it is all clean now.
The damage seems minimal, surprisingly, I expected lots of corrosion, but it was only at the top of the casing where condensation had formed.

I found that there were problems with the cam on the lift arms shaft and the peg that contacts it in operation. Because the cam has corroded by the condensation in the casing, the surface is rough and has almost worn through the peg. (see picture)

I am proposing to rebuild the surfaces with weld and a hard facing rod to compensate for the wear, unless anyone has a better idea? Should that pin be circular or is it designed to have a flat on it to start with?

Thanks, James

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

blastcleaner that pin is round and can be tapped out , but be carful not to damage the linkage , you will have to support it and carefuly tap it out . there is plenty about this on stefan ,s site. Gerry