Centre Disk to Rim Bolt - Nut on outside or Inside of rim?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Centre Disk to Rim Bolt - Nut on outside or Inside of rim?

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I have noticed that some Dextas' have the bolt inserted from the back of the rim through to the outside and some the reverse of. Looking at two of my old rims which my wife has used as a planter pot, the bolt head is on the outside. I presume it is easier to remove the rim and tyre from the centre disk when the nuts are on the outside? Just my thought if the head of the bolt was inserted from the outside in your finish would look a lot neater. Sorry I seem to be a perfectionist at times, so my wife tells me :scratchhead: :wink:

blackbob
True Blue

Re: Centre Disk to Rim Bolt - Nut on outside or Inside of ri

Post by blackbob »

I think it will depend on whether the disc is inside or outside the lugs on the rim.. because the bolts have a nib under their head, which fits into a notch in the hole in the disc? Hence you don't need a spanner on the bolt head?

Or do Fordsons use ordinary bolts, and it's only Fergusons which use round-headed bolts?

My wife would tell you that you are a perfectionist because you are a Virgo, like me :roll:
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Centre Disk to Rim Bolt - Nut on outside or Inside of ri

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Bob,
I'm far from being a Virgo but there must be a close connection to Capricorn, probably a rub off from my older brother who was a Virgo 8).
Back to the subject of the bolts, you are right my bolts have the nib on the head what a pleasure. Just had another look at my old rims in the garden and the disks are on the outside of the lugs. Thanks all the same for your input much appreciated and the bit of humour. :)