Oil leak advice

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil leak advice

Post by oor wullie »

Hi

I'm leaking black engine oil from my 1958 Dexta and would like to check people's advice before starting to take things to bits.

She has black oil coming from the weep hole at the join between the engine and clutch. Last summer I split the tractor and replaced the rope seal on the crankshaft but if anything the leak has gradually increased.

Now there is also a leak of black oil from the front of the engine - not exactly sure of where as it's hard to see without taking things to bits.

I'm thinking that either I made a mess of fitting the rope seal last summer or (more likely?) the sump gasket has failed and needs replaced. Is there a gasket on the crankshaft at the front that I should also be looking at?

Are any of these common failings on a Dexta? Should I replace all 3 (front and rear crankshaft seals and sump gasket)?

I've got the manual so know how to do it its just I would like to have a bit of confidence in what to do before convincing my wife that I need to spend a few days alone in the shed with my tractor!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Oil leak advice

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi

I did have to replace the back rope seals on my Dexta many years ago and although she has been standing awhile there is no sign of oil leaking from the hole under the bell housing. The oil from the front of the engine could be the cork gasket or crank seal, again I had a moderate leak in the region. I have just recently removed my engine to be rebuilt and waiting for a call from the engineers to come and pick my engine up. I had to remove everything from the block except the crank and pistons etc., I did notice that the sump did not fit over the gasket squarely so that could have been the culprit. My crank seal is new but to me seems to have little resistance when I slide the pulley through it, the pulley has no grooves from ware.
Do your self a favour and Google search for "Bundy bear shed website" he is up in Queensland Australia and has a number of videos of his restoration of a six speed Massey Ferguson and very easy to follow. One of his recent videos shows how he replaces the cork gasket, virtually the same engine other than a couple of cosmetic differences as the Dexta.
Buy your wife a big bunch of red roses before you ask for her permission to spend time with your other love. :wink:
Best of luck, I am no mechanic but just have a love to experiment and explore.
Mervyn.

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Oil leak advice

Post by oor wullie »

If anyone is interested I replaced the sump seals (gasket and Cork) and the leak seems to have stopped.

It was no problem taking the sump off without splitting the tractor or taking much off, just made sure the clutch housing and engine were well supported.