What tacho is this off?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MikesDexta
True Blue

What tacho is this off?

Post by MikesDexta »

I've had this tacho on my 1959 Dexta since I bought her 11 years ago and it's never worked properly despite fitting a new cable, it does move but only registers around 200 rpm in any gear although it has been clocking hours.

I've read the discussions on clockwise and anticlockwise tachos but seen nothing like mine i.e., anticlockwise but upside down? Over the years I've found various bits replaced with what I think are MF Industrial (yellow) parts but this has defeated me somewhat. I've lived with it so far but would now like to get it working.

Any ideas welcome - if it is original should I pay to get it restored?

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

agroman
True Blue

Re: What tacho is this off?

Post by agroman »

I would say that’s original part. Mine is the same and is a 59 vintage. Mine works fine though
1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks, I got swayed by one post that was describing tachos with the hours at the bottom, some going anticlockwise and some clockwise. I should've searched some more because I found this today which if you scroll down shows Ben's Dexta has the same tacho as me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3186

Now, has anyone paid to have one refurbed? This company has been mentioned http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/ht ... meter.html but looks as if tghe likely cost will be upwards of £75 and probably the wrong side of £100?

thanks in advance

Mike
1959 Dexta

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear MikesDexta

I have had a couple of of Rev Counters restored by Speedograph Richfield of Nottingham. The units are similar to the ones fitted on Dextas . One for a New Performance Super Major and the other for a Super Major. Both were in pretty poor condition eg seized, glass broken, dial badly faded. The last one (Super Major) was done in 2015 and they even gave me the option to set the hours at what was on the clock at failure, rather than zero-ing it. The cost was £84. An excellent, prompt service and both "clocks" are still going fine. Far better than some cheap copy that is from the land of nearly right. I suppose you pays your money and makes your choice.....

Timeee

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks that's very reassuring, I will send it off and thanks for the tip on non-zeroing so I will specify that and supply the hours worked just in case! One question, my dial is faded and then offer a re-print service. Have you ever used this and do you have a picture of the end result please?

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear MikesDexta

No, I cannot recall them offering that service 4 years ago, or if they did, I didn't go for it. The badly faded one was on the New Performance Super Major refurbished over 10 years ago, Speedograph cleaned it up quite well and might have touched it up in places (well good enough for me as all I wanted was a good working rev counter which reflected the age of the tractor). The tractor is currently 300 miles away in the N Yorkshire Dales and I don't have any photographs of it (the rev counter). The main problem was that it was an anticlockwise AC one, rather than Smiths and they (Speedograph) were having problems getting the bits to get the hours run tumblers to work. They managed it in the end.

Timeee

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I've packaged it up ready to post and asked them to print a new paper dial. My problem is the opposite of yours in that the hours worked is working but the rev needle isn't! I peered into the hole where the cable screws into and there is nothing in there for the cable's square end to engage with!

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

They're quoting me £70 +vat for the repair/refurbish and another £40 +vat for a dial preprint so the total including delivery is £140 which is a lot. I want to keep the original tacho but I just don't know how good the dial reprint will be. Will it just make it look like a repro? Looking at the picture I posted of my tacho above, is it worth it or will their cleaning service improve it sufficiently? :scratchhead:
1959 Dexta

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

:shock: :scratchhead: Thats a lot of money Mike :(
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Mike,

is the cable a tight fit with the drive (engine side)? I did have to add a small piece of wire to get it turning. Maybe yours is slipping there. I would go for a rebuilt if I was you. maybe you can ask them to make a picture when they have cleaned it, so you still can decide. Maybe it's just some dirt on the inside of the glass... I don't know if they can be easily opened.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Timeee
True Blue

Post by Timeee »

Dear Mikes Dexta

I think your rev counter face is in fair condition for its age. All the numbers are there and you can even read the small print at the top. The colours on the speed bars are discernible from each other (not faded into one vague colour). I am not sure what standard you are looking for, but that looks like a pretty good serviceable face for its age. It may come up even better, when they clean the glass on the inside.

Timeee

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I had a chat with a helpful technician from Speedograph today and he recommended I have a new dial printed as the old one is badly faded and will get worse. So on the basis that I intend to fully restore the bodywork in the Autumn and have already had my original starter motor fully refurbished and bought fully restored headlamps ready to fit so it makes sense I guess, although the cost was a shocker :shock: The next expensive item will be the seat, mine is usable but rusted through in the usual places, it seems originals and repros are about the same price with the former being thin on the ground.
1959 Dexta

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Well it's back and what a difference! Take a look at my first post to compare. My main worry was that it would look too much like a new repro but I think they have got this just right. I will be fitting it tomorrow so fingers crossed it works and it isn't the drive coupling :eyes: although I did connect a low speed drill that ruled that out

1959 Dexta

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

wow what a beauty! :clap:
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

MikesDexta